Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Laser cut deck parts

Fitting the deck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Chelchowski02/05/2020 15:18:38
3 forum posts

I’m new to the hobby and this is my first build so please forgive me for asking what I’m sure will be considered a silly question. I’m building a Sea Urchin (SLEC) and so far so good! Although I’m not quite at the stage of fitting the deck, I have been examining the laser cut parts and offering them up against the hull. It is my intention to fit a sub deck (as advocated by ’roadrunne’r in his comprehensive build report of the same vessel) and then glue the deck parts to it. I notice that there is a significant overhang over the hull of these deck parts. I don’t believe that the intention is that these should be sanded flush with the hull and therefore I assume that this overhang is intentional. I’m also presuming that the rubbing strake will play a part in the finish between the deck overhang and the hull but to my mind this would mean that the deck overhang sits on top of the strake. Can anyone please explain how this is supposed to work or if I’ve completely misunderstood the construction process for the deck.

Ray Wood 202/05/2020 16:17:02
1992 forum posts
709 photos

Hello John,

The SLEC kit for Sea Urchin is an updated version of the original Aerokits design distributed by KeilKraft, not sure who or where Roadrunners review was ? but the original design had the deck fitted after the hull sides and trimmed flush with a 1/8 square rubbing strake externally over the joint, did you have a drawing with your kit ??

I'm not sure you need a "sub deck"

Hope that helps 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200502_155631.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/05/2020 16:17:48

Dave Milbourn02/05/2020 17:05:04
4002 forum posts
282 photos

My SLEC Police Launch has a laser-cut deck overlay which glues on top of the ply deck parts. There was an overhang of approx 2mm all round which I sanded back flush with the hull sides. The rubbing strip then fits flush with the overlay.

launch 01.jpg

John Chelchowski03/05/2020 08:32:53
3 forum posts

Many thanks to Ray and Dave for your kind and helpful comments.

I have the drawing and I follow the logic of the deck being flush with the hull sides. However my concern is the amount of overhang from the laser-cut deck parts as its certainly more than 2mm all round. I was concerned about removing what will be a significant amount of material from parts that I did not think would require any trimming. I am reassured that is what is required. Thank you.

ashley needham03/05/2020 08:41:12
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Undoubtably the best way to get a well fitting deck is to stick it on large and sand to fit. Eliminates all filling and ensures a beautiful crisp edge.

Even though it is a kit I dare say they could not run the risk of making the deck EXACTLY the right size in case someone made their hull a mm or so bigger that that, after all you can’t easily fill a wooden deck.

Ashley

Colin Bishop03/05/2020 09:30:28
4522 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

If you look at n enlargement of the Sea Urchin photo on the SLEC website (click on the image) I think it is clear that the deck overlay should be sanded flush with the hull sides and an exeternal rubbing strip glued over the joint but sitting just below the deck edge.

**LINK**

Bear in mind that this is a representation of a typical day boat, it is not intended to be a scale model so as long as it is neat that will be fine.

'Roadrunner' runns another forum where I presume his review appeared.

Colin

Dave Milbourn03/05/2020 10:12:06
4002 forum posts
282 photos

This is how it's done:

deck overlay.jpg

John Chelchowski03/05/2020 12:46:51
3 forum posts

Many thanks Ashley, Colin and Dave; all understood and clear now!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor