Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

One ESC, or two

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Marks 130/04/2020 08:14:45
239 forum posts
44 photos

I am currently scratch building a catamaran workboat in 1:16 scale, based on the drawings for a James Pottinger design called Searcher. The vessel has twin 540/1 motors, 35mm props and twin rudders. I will be using two 6V batteries connected in parallel. I will control the two rudders via `Y’ lead. Please could someone advise the best way to control the two motors i.e. one ESC or two. I normally now use Action products. Many thanks.

Dave Milbourn30/04/2020 08:27:08
3995 forum posts
282 photos

1 x ACTion P94. Job done!

Dave M

David Marks 130/04/2020 13:58:34
239 forum posts
44 photos

Dave - Many thanks for you prompt response. I had purposely made the void below the deck between the two hulls a bit deeper to allow for the depth of the enclosure used for the majority of the Action units but unfortunately the P94 has the two heat sinks. As I cannot use an alternative location it will be neat hole in the deck to allow the heat sink to protrude and then a suitable cover such as a dummy crate. That is why I enjoy scratch building....problem solving.

All the best - Keep safe

Dave Milbourn30/04/2020 14:11:00
3995 forum posts
282 photos

David

There is an alternative which I used in Ellie. I substituted the tall flat heat-sink fins with two made from 1" L-section ali extrusion. Picture should show this clearly.

Dave M

p94 with l-shaped heatsinks.jpg

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 30/04/2020 14:11:40

David Marks 130/04/2020 15:10:03
239 forum posts
44 photos

Yes, thanks for that I will give it a try. I think the total void depth is 32 mm and I always have a good stock of extruded ali angle as I often use it as an assembly aid or for such things as making my own motor mounts.

David Marks 119/05/2020 19:34:53
239 forum posts
44 photos

Dave - I have made a a pair of "gull wings" from extruded aluminium as advised. On dismantling the unit, there were no Heat Transfer Pads i.a.w the Assy Drg but there was a small quantity of white paste at each interface point which I assume is now used in lieu of the HTPs. Is there a household equivalent to this paste or is it a question of scrounging some from Kyje at CS. Many thanks.

Dave Milbourn19/05/2020 19:53:56
3995 forum posts
282 photos

David

It's heat-transfer compound and as far as I know has no domestic equivalent. At that voltage however you should have no need for it. The cost of the transfer pads went from around 2p each to over 20p in one jump, at which point we decided to ditch them and go with the gunk. I very much doubt whether Kyje will have any. Gunk

Dave M

David Marks 120/05/2020 06:40:20
239 forum posts
44 photos

Dave - Many thanks for that. I carefully preserved the paste on the removed units so will add that on reassembly.

David Marks 101/07/2020 12:11:57
239 forum posts
44 photos

Dave - I am trying to incorporate a Micro Diesel Sound Simulator (P63) with the P94 previously mentioned in the earlier posts. Am I correct in saying that I connect the ESC terminal on the P63 to the terminal marked H2 on the P94 and therefore require a lead with a male connection on each end? This item being available from Component Shop.

Many Thanks - David Marks

Dave Milbourn01/07/2020 12:24:06
3995 forum posts
282 photos

David

You can connect the P63 plug (which would normally go into the receiver) to the pins H2 on P94, so you won't need a special lead. It won't be vey loud.

Dave M

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor