Wooden Hull Finishing AERONAUT DIVA CABIN CRUISER WOODEN MODEL BOAT KIT

How to fill gaps, finish wooden hull

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 229/06/2020 12:41:02
1979 forum posts
705 photos

Hi Colin,

Rather extreme for a model boat @ £25 a tin ? But I suppose I've been using the same tin of international deck paint for 25 years so good value in the end 😀😀😀

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop29/06/2020 13:06:54
4508 forum posts
6059 photos
398 articles

Ray, it's great for the outside of the house too, lasts far longer than the 'external' paints you buy in the DiY stores. Very good for inside wood too such as window sills & doorframes. There is always a need for white paint in the domestic situation.

Actually it is about 4 times cheaper than Humbrol by volume...

Colin

Dave Smith 1730/06/2020 19:31:01
30 forum posts

I am also building one of these, first model boat for quite a few years, but I have quite a bit of transferable experience from model aircraft, which I built and flew for about 50 years. My wife gave me the kit for Christmas after I had admired a completed Diva in our local model shop (Howes).

I also suffered from the English translation for the kit appearing to be for a different model, in the end, I spent an evening typing the German text into a translation site and now have a set of English instructions which more or less make sense! If anyone wants a copy, I'll give them a quick proof read to make sure they make sense and send them on.

My Diva is at the stage of hull more or less completed, next stage is to varnish the mahogany sides to avoid getting any sticky fingerprints on them (managed to avoid it so far!). It's certainly a different construction to the models I used to build, and the instructions do need to be followed as most of the parts are exactly the right size, very little room to bodge any mistakes!

Richard Hobson 230/06/2020 21:32:27
4 forum posts

Hi Dave,

30 years aero modelling here. Mainly slope soarers. I wanted to build a full size kayak, but thought i'd start small I'm using an app on my iphone to translate. Basically take a pic, a couple of clicks and viola - English! its a free app, so only get 3 translations per day but that's enough. I'd love to see some pics of your progress. Sounds like you're a couple of steps ahead of me. And you are right about everything being exact! very different to glider kits i've done in the past. So far i've been very impressed with the kit to be honest!

Cheers Richard

Dave Smith 1730/06/2020 21:43:16
30 forum posts

Hi Richard, I used Bing translate, free and no limit (except my trying to type in German!). Not much to show with my build, just a hull and all the mess around it! I'll try to remember to take a pic or two tomorrow, between building the Diva and two others in a small space.

Dave Smith 1730/06/2020 21:49:48
30 forum posts

Hi Richard, I used Bing translate, free and no limit (except my trying to type in German!). Not much to show with my build, just a hull and all the mess around it! I'll try to remember to take a pic or two tomorrow, between building the Diva and two others in a small space.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor