Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

121 gun warships

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Paterson 228/04/2020 23:04:48
29 forum posts
83 photos

Since we are in day 4...5? maybe 11 of lockdown and I am getting cabin fever I've decided I want to build a sailing warship from probably the 1700's era. I had thought of HMS Victory but its been done so my other option is a 76 or 79 gun? Ship of the line!

I have no illusions as to the build magnitude of such ships to have them decent! Which brings me to the point... would anyone be able to point me in the direction

of plans for anything such as these? I don't want a kit... which is the same as "really, you've just got another rally car and new bow" and I have no zest for causing myself more grief than I need 😂

Hms Warspite or something similar would be perfect. Ideally over a metre long which would be a decent size in my opinion.

ashley needham29/04/2020 07:25:28
6666 forum posts
160 photos

img_0658.jpgStephen. It doesn’t have to be difficult with a bit of lateral thinking.

Depends if you are a man who can do his own plan or a man who just builds to someone else’s?

Someone once said there are more HMS Victories sold/started/half finished than actually finished.

I have a Mantua Victory (the 500mm long one) in a box (well meaning gift) which I shall probably never even look at let alone fiddle with.

Ashley. Snap...easy ship-of-the-line

ashley needham29/04/2020 09:59:43
6666 forum posts
160 photos

Have added an HMS London album to my stash, featuring a few of the build pictures not included in the mag.

Please bear in mind that this is an on-the-water model so I was not worried about the look on the stand, although it looks ok to the untrained eye.

Ashley

Banjoman29/04/2020 14:46:48
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Hi Stephen,

If I understand your post correctly, you want to scratch build a static model of a sailing man-o'war of the larger sort, i.e. a ship of the line from the 1700's (which, given your mention of the Victory, I suppose might inlcude the Napoleonic Wars era).

This would of course a pretty ambititious build, and I sincerely hope that lockdown will be but a long-past memory by the time you finish it, but there's nothing inherently impossible about it; where there's a will, there's a way.

Firstly, as most of the people (active) on this forum tend to be more interested in (a) more recent prototypes, and (b) the r/c side of the hobby, I suspect it might be worth your while for you to check out an American forum, called Model Ship World (see **LINK**) which, I believe, has a centre of interests much more in the direction you are looking at.

Then a quick search of the list of plans published by Brown, Son & Ferguson in Glasgow threw up a set of Harold A. Underhill plans for a c. 1813 74-gun two-decker (see **LINK**). Please note that the link is only to the first of a total of seven plans, so at £10 per plan, it is not exactly inexpensive stuff. On the other hand, it is a set of Underhill plans, and there were few better than Harold A. Underhill when it comes to plans (and he was a top-notch model builder, too), so likely to be worth the money if you want an ambitious build.

For even more money, there are also a number of publications available from SeaWatch Books in the US, that provide not only plans but also very detailed build descriptions by contemporary masters of this type of build, see **LINK**.

Finally, another possible source of plans is the Brunel Institute at the S/S Great Britain Museum in Bristol. They hold the David McGregor collection of more than 7,000 plans, a list of which is available on their website (see **LINK**). For a fee, they are happy and willing to provide scanned copies of most of those plans (exceptions may apply for very fragile material).

Good luck with your build,

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 29/04/2020 14:47:01

Edited By Banjoman on 29/04/2020 14:47:25

Edited By Banjoman on 29/04/2020 14:49:12

Edited By Banjoman on 29/04/2020 14:49:28

Edited By Banjoman on 29/04/2020 14:50:25

Ray Wood 229/04/2020 14:58:23
2048 forum posts
720 photos

Hi Stephen,

I have the Harold Underhill drawings for the 73 gun ship of the line Mattias mentioned all 7 sheets, I've knocked up a few boats in my time 😀 but I'd say to do the model properly 5 years would be required.

Good luck on your quest

Ray

Colin Bishop29/04/2020 15:48:20
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Without wishing to pour cold water on your intentions, it is rarely a good idea to dive in at the deep end before you have learned to swim. It almost always ends in frustration.

Plans in themselves are not enough, to build successfully at tis level you need a good understanding of the techniques as well, plus practice to put them into effect.

On the reading side, Keith Julier's book is a good starting point.

**LINK**

You say you don't want a kit but actually kits are a good way to get to grips with the building techniques and kits of period ships are certainly not just a matter of sticking parts together, you need to learn to plank, carve and rig as well.

There are a number of ships in Jotika's 'Nelsons Navy' range and the smaller ones such as the brig Sherbourne are a good introduction before tackling something more ambitious.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor