By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

St Helena, SS Ohio

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pete graham28/04/2020 13:41:48
39 forum posts

Hi Bob, I have been interested in reading all the various posts on St Helena herein and also in the MN forum. where a member, Bryan Postwig has posted a couple of photos of the ship, which show two large white structures on the foredeck. I have never seen this sort of gear before and assume it is some form of advanced heavy lift cargo handling equipment, but which I note is not included in your line drawing of the ship introducing modelling notes.

With reference to the Falklands , was she recruited as a fleet auxiliary.. She is /was a fascinating ship and I can understand how your long service ion her is so memorable to you.

The OHIO. Cannot remember where I obtained them many years ago but I have copy of full size (42" x28" GA drawings dated 10th Sept. 1942 of Ohio at 1/16 th inches to the foot. . Full details of superstructure and oil- tank layout .....but sadly no deck top pipeline system shown. I noted your comments about not proceeding with a model owing to lack of this information......but nevertheless if these drawings are of any use to you I will gladly let you have them..

Pete.

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 11:13:34
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Hi Pete,

Just been directed to the above via your post in the 900-ton barque. I am not sure what you mean by two large white strutures on deck. There were two St. Helenas, and I sailed in both of them. The old one had no advanced cargo-handling equipment, just derricks. The new ship had two cranes, but I have never done a line drawing of the new one. Have you a link to the image you mean?

Bob

pete graham07/05/2020 11:43:36
39 forum posts

Hi Bob

thanks for your immediate reply..... I'll be back on forum later today. Family duties!

Pete

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 15:13:02
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Maybe you are talking about this ship, the second RMS St Helena. I sailed in this ship, but did not build this model. It was owned by the company, and someone dropped it, and I got the job of repairing it. Those two white things on the foredeck are just cargo cranes, nothing special about them. This ship was not requisitioned for anythin, she was only completed in 1989, and came off the St Helena run two years ago, but is still sailing elsewhere under the same name. I have never done a line drawing of this ship! It was the first St Helena (1978 - 1990 that was requisitioned for the Falklands.   The two white blocks in front of the bridge are cargo containers. 

Bob

rms st helena after (large).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 07/05/2020 15:13:45

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 15:15:34
1673 forum posts
301 photos

This is the St Helena drawing that I did of the first one - 1978 - 1990 -

Bob

rms st helena.jpg

pete graham07/05/2020 17:06:15
39 forum posts

Hi Bob,

Yes, the image in the MN forum is the 2nd St Helena....with the legend "EXTREME" plastered across its flanks.

I had a much better squint at the picture and the cranes are obvious now but nevertheless very robust with what appear to be heavy duty topping lifts. . A nice looking ship but quite unusual.

Incidentally, I found a 3rd St Helena a liberty ship , originally "Samloyal".

I have taken up a bit of your time on this...thank you.

With Regards

Pete.

Oh, by the way, I gather that you are not interested in the Ohio drawings. I think that if the 42 in. sheet wasn't showing so many creases and folds I would consider framing it. Would make a decent wall covering. but I can guess what my wife would have to say...

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 17:53:51
1673 forum posts
301 photos

hms norfolk.jpgHi Pete,

That explains it. The image you have seen with "Extreme" painted on it shows the ship in her new role as a floating paddock to carry Extreme racing cars and their drivers to race in various parts of the world where the conditions are extreme. All the cars will, of course, be carried on board, so maybe they have altered the cranes, I must have a look. I knew about St Helena, ex Samloyal, and have built a model of it - see below. I have basic plans of Ohio, and considered building it in the past, but no pipe layout shown. But if I had built it, it would have been in Texaco colours. I don't have any particular dislike for war scenes and warships, but I find the grey colour rather drab and boring. I even dislike grey merchant ships. Also the modelling world is absolutely dominated by warships and I find that reading about one sea battle is pretty much like the rest of them, and probably not very pleasant to take part in either. I have built a couple of warships, HMS Dreadnought (Battleships) and HMS Norfolk (heavy cruiser). Also Louisiana, a Texaco oil tanker very similar to Ohio -

Bob

hms dreadnought.jpg

st helena (large).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 07/05/2020 17:55:01

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 18:03:16
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Lousiana

Bob

7 louisiana.jpg

pete graham07/05/2020 19:47:09
39 forum posts

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reply.

Even by a wildest guess I would never have thought of a customised racing car transporter. Never! ..

It was going to be a bit awkward securing a link from the MN forum so I aborted the idea. but hopefully you will find a picture elsewhere.

Pete

Bob Wilson07/05/2020 21:24:16
1673 forum posts
301 photos

All the cars will be electric as well! Here is a short movie of it. **LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor