Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Rigging thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Beeney28/04/2020 12:47:25
18 forum posts

Hi All need some advice please

the rigging thread I have is two ply how do you stop it unravelling when passing through pullies etc ?

Thanks Paul

Colin Bishop28/04/2020 13:00:31
4968 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

A dab of superglue or other quick dtrying adhesive on the end should stop it unravelling.

Colin

neil howard-pritchard28/04/2020 21:25:26
1921 forum posts
1747 photos

I have found that a lot of "rigging" thread that you buy off eBay these days isn't suitable, as it is nylon or man made fibre based.....you will find that this unravels for fun.....as Colin says...either a blob of superglue put onto the cord before you cut it, or as with man made......I usually singe it with a small flame.

but your best bet is to buy cotton based thread such as macramé cottons...…..bit more expensive, but you can buy it in different diameters both dyed and undyed......but far better and it doesn't stretch like man made does, and it doesn't unravel as easily.

Dave Cooper 629/04/2020 10:02:37
305 forum posts
32 photos

I've also used 'monofilament' fishing line before now.

It's near transparent, available in different gauges (strengths) and does have a bit of 'give' if that's what you want.

If roving through blocks /pulleys etc I put a small blob of 2-pack epoxy on the end to stop it running back through....also, you can "double-it-back" through some electrical sleeving to form a loop for securing to a bollard, cleat etc

I think it may take paint as well, but I haven't tried this. Most fishing shops will have some on a round reel for a few pounds.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor