Forum sponsored by Dremel

Zulu

Scottish fishing boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eddie Lancaster21/04/2020 18:57:51
693 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. all, I have been working on my Carona boat over the past few weeks.

img_0429.jpg

It is Jim Pottinger's Zulu, a free plan in the Feb.issue of MB.

It started as a boat to be built down here at Broadstairs when I was visiting after barge racing at Bluewater but it became a full time build after I was caught down here in the lockdown in mid March.

I didn't take any photo's of the early part of the build but have taken some with my iphone, to get around the problem of the phone rotating some of the pictures I have set it to take them in square format, we will see if that works.

The first pictureis of the hull qnd rubbing strakes, I am waiting for a delivery of half round beading to finish the strakes ready to paint the hull.

img_0428.jpg

The deck laid with 5x1 mm.lime with black card caulking, the paint was rubbed into the wood using kitchen towel and sanded back to reveal the cauking and grain, I want to finish this boat to look like a working boat so I will be trying my hand at weathering, another first for me.

img_0425.jpg

The stearing is by chain as per full size.

Hope you are all keeping safe.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 221/04/2020 19:12:55
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hi Eddie,

Good to see another one of Jim Pottinger's designs being built , your usual fine work 😀

Let's hope we get some barge racing later in the year 😊 your visit to Herne Bay with Veronica 

Regards Rayeddie 020919.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 21/04/2020 19:13:38

Eddie Lancaster21/04/2020 20:00:23
693 forum posts
526 photos

Happy dayssmiley. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Eddie

ashley needham22/04/2020 17:19:16
6475 forum posts
218 photos

Eddie. That looks....busy... a lot of strip-work and blobby bits on deck....AND you have planked it!  Well done!

Ray, great photo....where's the beer???? Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 22/04/2020 17:20:48

Eddie Lancaster22/04/2020 20:51:47
693 forum posts
526 photos

Thanks Ashley, and there’s more to add yet, I’m enjoying this build as there was no model detail on

the plans.

Regards.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster23/04/2020 09:30:57
693 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Ashley, I forgot to mention the reason I planked the deck on Zulu was a practice run before I plank the deck of this 58"x13" schooner.

img_0399.jpg

The little guys are just checking over the Fairey Huntsman kit.img_0436.jpg

Regards to all.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 23/04/2020 09:31:58

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 23/04/2020 09:33:37

Ray Wood 223/04/2020 10:24:08
1908 forum posts
681 photos

Hi Eddie,

Your schooner takes stich & glue to the next level !! You'll need to raid the church roof for ballast 😀

Regards Ray

Dave Milbourn23/04/2020 10:31:54
3991 forum posts
282 photos

Eddie

The guy in the blue shirt is the better driver of the two. I didn't trust the other one in H31 so he now drives the Swordsman. Incidentally, SLEC have a pattern for a ply deck overlay sheet which has the plank lines laser-etched. There's also a matching cockpit floor.

Dave M

Eddie Lancaster23/04/2020 11:21:21
693 forum posts
526 photos

Hi.Ray and Dave, the lead is in stock, not from the church roof this time, I thought I had better leave it for a while.

Dave the laser cut ply sheet is in my kit, and thanks for the tip about the driver, I will keep that in mind when I / we get to do the test run.

All the best.

Eddie.

Tim Cooper23/04/2020 11:28:27
360 forum posts
158 photos

Eddie

The chap in the blue trousers has his twin brother waiting for my Huntsman.

Wish I had bought shares in Be used!

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor