Forum sponsored by Dremel

LiPo storage charging

With our without the balancing lead?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Banjoman21/04/2020 09:17:03
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Here's one more newbie question on the by now slightly worn-thin subject of LiPo:s.

As mentioned already in my Sweet Sue II thread, I have a SkyRC e6650 multi-chemistry balance charger and am, since yesterday, also the (still ever so slightly apprahensive) owner of a brand new LiPo battery.

If for a moment we pretend that we've never heard owt about with what the road to hell is proverbially paved, I might perhaps dare say that I do at least wish to set out as a LiPo owner/user with the good intention of doing everything by the book.

This should of course include regular checking and (re)establishing of storage voltage, for which purpose I dare say the Storage function of the charger will be just the thing.

Now, I have read the manual of said charger backwards and forwards, and have also googled the matter, but have as yet not found a conclusive answer to this question: should storage charging be done with the balancing lead connected or not?

From the way certain passages in the manual are formulated I suspect that the answer is "yes", but I would very much appreciate any input you could provide!

Many thanks in advance

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 21/04/2020 09:17:27

Dave Milbourn21/04/2020 09:19:51
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Most emphatically WITH!

DM

Banjoman21/04/2020 09:24:29
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Dave,

Most emphatically THANKS!

Why, oh why, one wonders, couldn't the manual just say that in a few clear and straightforward words?

Oh well. Wenn dass Wörtchen wenn nicht wäre, dann wäre ich schon lang ein Millionaire!

Again, thank you very much!

Mattias

Gareth Jones21/04/2020 09:25:38
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Definitely with the balancing lead. I cant think of any reason why anyone would ever charge a LiPo without one - unless you didn't have one and were desperate enough to take the risk.

Gareth

Banjoman21/04/2020 09:32:18
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Gareth,

Thank you very much, too!

Just to be clear, the manual does of course say that balance charging (i.e. using the Balance function) should be done with the lead; it also implies that the same goes for the Discharge function. It is just when it comes to the Storage function that the manual is really not clear at all.

Any road, 'tis balanced 'twill be!

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 21/04/2020 09:32:48

Chris Fellows21/04/2020 11:10:51
721 forum posts
445 photos

Mattias

If it's any consolation I was very nervous of LiPos having read the various stories about them. I bought a good quality charger and like you read the manual a few times but was still a little confused and apprehensive.

So worried about LiPos in fact and having them in the house unattended for 5 weeks when we went on an extended tour to Australia and New Zealand 3 years ago that I took 2 new batteries down the recycling centre! Sounds crazy now I know, but when you don't understand something it's not worth the risk.

Now of course I'm perfectly happy with charging, storage charging etc. In fact it's the MiNh batteries that get pretty warm during charging and are the most concerning!

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor