Forum sponsored by Dremel

"Miranda"steam launch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
alan nash07/09/2008 11:52:00
10 forum posts
4 photos

Hi,

Just thought you might like to see the steam launch i have just completed.She is an Edwardian Thames launch "Miranda" drawn by Basil Harley.

I have installed an Anton Cristal steam engine and boiler. Only this morning ran it in a test tank on the Patio,ran perfectly straight away.

Alan Nash.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2790/Miranda_finished.jpg

Southern sailor19/09/2009 17:22:50
60 forum posts
13 photos
Hi Alan,
The boat looks great.
Can you show or send details of the remaining parts of the installation, radio, valves etc.
What throttle valve did you use?
Brian
Barry Foote22/09/2009 08:28:06
161 forum posts
93 photos
Come on Alan, more information and pictures wanted.....
Gerald Gardiner24/09/2009 18:00:46
57 forum posts
1 photos
Dang, I have to dry off another keyboard. That looks fantastic. More photos please.
Regards,
Gerald
Fred Nightingale 109/12/2010 21:14:53
6 forum posts
5 photos
Hi Alan

Like yourself I have just completed the Steam Launch Miranda. Building Engine and boat from scratch.
First dip was in the bath to get the water line. I then took it to a friends swimming pool, he did not want me to run the engine (OIL) so I got in and swam round with it making the water a little choppy  Everything seemed ok although it sits quite low in the water and appears a bit unstable.
When I got it home and checked it out there was a little water in the bottom of the boat. I have since put it back in the bath and there no leaks. The only thing I can imagine is I made the water to choppy and it went over the side.
Have you had any problems with yours being unstable
Regards Fred

Adrian Parker 224/01/2011 09:39:51
2 forum posts
Hi,

The pictures look great, thanks for sharing.

I am coming back to model boat construction after 'a few' years away. All my efforts before have been balsa sheet or pre-formed hulls so it's time to learn new methods and skills. As I have the boiler and engine for a steam launch I have started a Miranda to take them.

However I have never completed a plank on frame boat and I have several probably very stupid questions. The information on the web seems to skip over the techniques to achieve close fitting planks, are there any good descriptions or video links?

Are there any construction pictures of the Miranda hull that could help me?

Regards

Adrian Parker

Edited By Adrian Parker 2 on 24/01/2011 09:40:15

Edited By Adrian Parker 2 on 24/01/2011 09:40:55

Ian Gardner24/01/2011 11:48:00
561 forum posts
1 photos
This has been discussed before but I found Harold Underhill's book Plank on Frame Models very useful. He describes how to set out planking runs with battens and proportional dividers and I found the whole thing really came together for me once I got my head round it. I found his system worked well.
The books aren't cheap to buy but it would be possible to get them from a library- hurry while libraries still exist!
The publishers are Brown, Son and Ferguson of Glasgow and they still advertise in Model Boats if memory serves me well.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Adrian Parker 224/01/2011 13:56:13
2 forum posts
Many thanks for the pointer, next time I am back in the UK I will try to get a copy

Regards

Adrian Parker
Fred Nightingale 124/01/2011 17:39:03
6 forum posts
5 photos
Hi Adrian

I take it you have the Basil Harley Plans for Miranda. There is also a written article in Model Boats Magazine around Oct.1983 which does help a bit when constructing the boat and it also has a few pictures
With so few bulk heads you need to put on a skim of 0.4mm ply wood this helps when planking.
If you don't have, and can't find this article let me have your address I will send you a copy.

Good Luck Fred

Fred Nightingale 124/01/2011 19:36:15
6 forum posts
5 photos
Hi Adrian

Forgot to add some Pics

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor