Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed Wing Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kgurd02/09/2008 10:12:00
19 forum posts
234 photos

I,ve been trying to obtain the plans for this unusual craft for some time. I think the plan was No. MM1311 but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kgurd.

Paul T02/09/2008 18:51:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hello kgurd

I'm not sure about Wing Ray but Vic Smeed did design a hydroplane model called "Zing Ray" perhaps this is what you have been looking for, anyway I have attached a copy of the plan so that you can check.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1859/Zing-Ray_Hydroplane_(Small).jpg

Hope this helps

Paul

kgurd04/09/2008 10:47:00
19 forum posts
234 photos
Thankyou for your reply. Wing Ray is a sailboat with a single foil for a sail. The sail is constructed from balsa and tissue being of the same construction as a balsa aircraft wing. The plan was often in the MM plan list in the early eighties. Thats about all i really know about this craft.
Paul T05/09/2008 18:57:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hello Kgurd

I have looked through all my library and back copies of magazines and can't find any reference to the Wing Ray.

I understand what you are looking for now that you have explained about the foil sail, I have sent an email to a friend who knows more about the subject of wing sailing as there is just a chance that he might know where to look.

Paul

kgurd12/09/2008 11:43:00
19 forum posts
234 photos

Thanks again Paul for your help. Found this advert in an 1981 Model Boats mag. Hoping that some member might have come across it.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2611/scan0001_0.jpg

Paul T12/09/2008 14:08:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Kgurd.

I not had a reply from Sam yet but he is working out in Dubai and has spasmodic access to the internet but hopefully, when he doe's get on line, he will read my email and check out this thread.

Paul

Mike Davidson25/09/2008 15:07:00
157 forum posts
9 photos
Paul,  The aircraft wing mounted vertically toact as a sail reminds me of the Clifton Flasher which took part in the John Player world speed sailing record attempt in POrtland harbour  the year that Timothy Coleman Won with his flying proa Crossbow, and doctor Gronogo was sailing an experimental catamaran with an aerofoil mast. That was a fascinating event with sailing craft lifting up on to hydrofoils, and sailboarders overtaking my car going from Portland to Weymouth, which reminds me, there is a theory that the foresail on a bermuda rig boat acts just like the slotted leading edge of an aircraft's mainplane directing the airflow over the main aerofoil  giving considerably greater lift. We haven't got round to blown flaps yet in boats, but I have seen an air compressor employed to blow a curtain of bubbles out at the bow to create a boundary layerwhich reduces the drag of the hull as it cuts through the water thus increasing the boat's speed for a given power input. I remember putting some of this to the test when I was racing sailing dinghy's, and certainly the boat went fastest when the foresail was trimmed so that the trailing edge was not flapping. p.s. The Clifton Flasher had four or five aerofoil wingsvertically arranged like a venetian blind, and she did not hang about either, it was a very good boat, a likely subject for a  very interesting model
Nashy12/09/2013 00:04:53
1 forum posts
3 photos

As this thread is coming up for its 5th Anniversary I wonder if anyone is still looking for details on the Vic Smeed "Wing Ray"? Or perhaps our recently, accidentally aquired yacht is the last in existence?

We have one almost complete sheet of plans (unsure if there would have been more than one page?) and a more-or-less complete Yacht with 3 sails.

Currently starting restoration (Which will include changing the sail colour to something a little more 'period'

Could this be the last!img_0825.jpgimg_0824.jpgimg_0823.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor