Forum sponsored by Dremel

Comanche 32

Cruising Cat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Banjoman10/04/2020 20:14:59
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

A very interesting project, Ray – and I'm quite keen, too, when eventually you get that far (and we're all allowed back out again), to hear how she does on the water!

Mattias

Ray Wood 211/04/2020 07:15:12
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi Mattias,

That makes two of us 😀 this project has taken 90% thinking about how to do it, and 10% actually building it, you will find the H31 easy after Moonbeam with all her sails, did you get to sail her much last year ??

I should have remembered the "cunning plan" was from Blackadder !!

Well into 4077 Mash at the moment 😀

Regards Ray

Malcolm Frary11/04/2020 09:52:54
893 forum posts

I doubt that the weighted fin pictured would be needed, but I do wonder if those mini fins would be effective. An article from waay back suggested a fin area between 5 and 10 percent of the sail area was good. The writer was discussing designing Marleheads, but I expect that the principle applies across many designs, including multi hulls.

Ray Wood 211/04/2020 10:04:20
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi Malcolm,

Yes it's going to be interesting , apparently it's not that hard to capsize a cat if you try hard or are not experienced !

But unlike a monohull yacht which eventually spills the wind when it reaches a certain angle, the cat also gets wind under the flying hull which makes it happen really fast !!

Time will tell 😀

Regards Ray

Banjoman13/04/2020 19:07:24
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Hello Ray,

No, I can't say that Moonbeam saw much time at the pond last year, as the first time I took her there, the water was lower than usual, aand the wind was fairly strong, too, so I managed to sail too close to a rarther rocky part of the shore, with as a result a number of (not too severe) scratches below the waterline.

I still have to take the entire rig down, and turn her upside down in the paint shop, to repair said scratches. Not a big job; just one that I've been putting off ...

Cheers,

Mattias

Ray Wood 214/04/2020 09:23:46
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi Mattias,

Well time is on our side at the moment to do a Pukka job of the re-spray of Moonbeam

Good to see so many new names on the forum !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 228/04/2020 19:31:19
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi All,

Another long running project this is starting to gather momentum, started with all the white spray primer I had On the whole thing, then with the water line marked on with 6mm Tamiya masking tape the bottom of both hulls Humbrol dark blue, white gloss good idea & red gloss waterline. I'm getting more interested in finishing her off now 😀

The black line in tape not a great idea, now removed. Black Fablon windows.

Regards Rayimg_20200428_115919.jpg

Ray Wood 228/04/2020 19:38:30
1996 forum posts
712 photos

com hull shaping 220419.jpgHi All,

Just to let you know how this cat started life as 2" blue styrofoam, with Depron bridge deck.

regards Raycom keel 220419.jpg

Chris Fellows28/04/2020 19:54:40
695 forum posts
411 photos

Looking the biz now Ray.

The work you've done on that foam shows that as well as other skills a bit of being a sculptor is required as well!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 28/04/2020 19:57:48

Ray Wood 220/05/2020 20:00:03
1996 forum posts
712 photos

img_20200520_124429.jpgHi All,

Well this furlough is turning into the longest break so far in my 48 year career in construction, thank goodness for our hobby ! locked in my workshop only let out to exercise & eat 😄 normal people would feel imprisoned !! Me I'm loving it 😉

On with rigging the Comanche, it's taken a long time to connect with this cat, but now looking forward to see how it sails, with add on keeps and without as designed, carbon tube mast with various brass rings and jump strutt ready for silver soldering and the finished mast sprayed satin black shrouds , stays bottle screwsimg_20200520_193805.jpg tomorrow.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor