Forum sponsored by Dremel

OSA 1 Missile Boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Cooper29/05/2020 12:24:28
394 forum posts
171 photos

Ashley

I vacuumed up the sawdust before taking the pictures. I like to keep up on the dust , as my early career in Analytical Laboratories gave me a dust allergy. Not much in the way of PPE that worked in the sixties and early seventies.

Unfortunately not a beer cooler but a freezer, do have a beer / wine cooler in the house though! Wife was not keen on it being moved to the cabin!

Power will be a brushless motor from Component Shop, and a Quicrun Esc 30 amp.

The cabin / workshop was my birthday present to myself last year. It's the first one I have had that I don't have to empty so I can get in and move around, and not freezing cold in winter.

The superstructure is still giving me problems but think I am getting there with Mark 2. Will take some photos 'll after.

Tim

Tim Cooper29/05/2020 14:27:48
394 forum posts
171 photos

Just for you Ashley. Some dust and tools. Plus progress on the superstructure.

The superstructure does seem to fit into the deck oK, although it may need a magnet to secure it.

Tim

PS. I have cleaned up now!

OSA 1

OSA 1

Edited By Tim Cooper on 29/05/2020 14:28:49

ashley needham31/05/2020 08:57:58
6920 forum posts
201 photos

My work bench is always covered in tools, as I seem to have to use all of them in rotation.

the sanding gets done outside mostly, so I don’t normally have a sawdusty top.

Foam is the way forward for boat stands. Easy to shape and gives great bump protection to the boats in their boxes.

Ashley

Tim Cooper31/05/2020 12:24:25
394 forum posts
171 photos

Hull ready for filler.

Tim

OSA 1

Tim Cooper05/06/2020 19:18:58
394 forum posts
171 photos

The superstructure now fits without a twist. Not sure how many times I took it to bits before managing to straighten it. Hull is being coated with resin and glass cloth.

Tim

OSA 1

OSA 1

Tim Cooper20/06/2020 15:42:35
394 forum posts
171 photos

Little bit more progress. Hull has glass cloth and resin coat . Rubbing strip added. Missile tubes being made. The drum tilt radar built some detail to be added. The 4 missile tubes are all slightly different due to the sloping deck.

Tim

OSA 1

OSA 1

Edited By Tim Cooper on 20/06/2020 15:44:13

Tim Cooper11/07/2020 11:40:13
394 forum posts
171 photos

Made a start on the AM230 guns. One for the bow and one corvette stern. The turrets are from styrene and car body filler. The gun barrels will be next, from 1.5mm tubing. The black paint is just for checking for any more filler.

Tim

OSA 1

ashley needham11/07/2020 12:41:53
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Very nice Tim. Very nice indeed. Although they call the Phalanx CIWS “Daleks”, these are the real m’coy!

Incidentally the Phalanx system has not got a good track record when it comes down to it. It was only ever meant to be a stop-gap, but it’s still here...bit like opening hours and the speed limit on motorways!

Ashley

Tim Cooper20/08/2020 17:24:35
394 forum posts
171 photos

Just about got the AK 230 guns ready for painting. Need to decide if I am going to have them turning.

Tim

img_20200820_165454.jpg

img_20200820_165519.jpg

Tim Cooper12/10/2020 12:35:34
394 forum posts
171 photos

Been working on the mast the last few weeks. The radar platforms have been testing my soldering skills. More detail has been added to the missile boxes. May move on to the open bridge next.

Tim

img_20201011_190200.jpg

img_20201011_170737.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor