Forum sponsored by Dremel

OSA 1 Missile Boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn07/05/2020 12:17:12
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Filling before using is a good idea if that is what you meant

Not quite, m'duck. If you fill it before you start to glue it then the glue won't work - or not very well if it does. I meant to sand the whole sheet smooth before you cut out any parts from it.

I shan't comment further on your last remark, except that we must agree to differ!

DM

ashley needham07/05/2020 19:41:17
6920 forum posts
201 photos

With you there DM, however for , for instance, the Crusader, filling before cutting would have worked fine as the only gluing took place on the rear face.

Obviously it depends on the application.

Ashley

Tim Cooper15/05/2020 13:30:21
394 forum posts
171 photos

Progress has been made with skinning of the hull bottom. Still need to finish the bow area. Not sure if I can persuade the 2mm liteply to accept the curve at the front? I may order some balsa block for the bow, as used on Fairey Huntsman. Will fit the prop shaft and motor before starting the sides.

Tim

OSA 1

OSA 1

Edited By Tim Cooper on 15/05/2020 13:31:17

Ray Wood 215/05/2020 15:04:33
2232 forum posts
777 photos

Hi Tim,

Do you have sheet balsa you could laminate the bow blocks from, it would save you ordering some ??

The other disadvantage of the balsa framework is it will distort if you stress it when putting the bottom skin and you end up with a distorted deck line ??

Regards Ray

Tim Cooper15/05/2020 16:21:49
394 forum posts
171 photos

Ray

It's a lite ply frame. I did consider lamination of balsa but don't think I have anything thicker than 3mm. I will have a look if I have any bits of something thicker. But it seemed a lot of lamination with the sheet I may have. But I have plenty of time at the moment.

Thanks Ray

Tim

Dave Milbourn15/05/2020 17:58:57
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Tim

I have some balsa blocks about 2" x 3". If you'd care to 'exercise' over in this direction then I might leave one at the end of the drive....... I'd suggest block infills below the chine and ahead of the first frame but if you use 2mm liteply with the grain running chine-to-deck then it will happily bend to the curve right up to the stem.

huntress bow blocks.jpg

Tim Cooper15/05/2020 19:30:02
394 forum posts
171 photos

Dave

Thanks for the offer. I have found some scraps of balsa sheet and strip so think I will be Ok with the bottom half. I will try your suggestion for the top half. If I get stuck I may decide to take the dog for a drive in the countryside near Lambley.

Thanks

Tim

Tim Cooper18/05/2020 18:03:29
394 forum posts
171 photos

Filled in the lower bow with layers of balsa. Should be ok once the filler goes on. Will put the motor and prop shaft in next before I put the sides on.

Tim

OSA1

Tim Cooper27/05/2020 12:36:02
394 forum posts
171 photos

Some progress since last post. Side skinning started in 2mms lite ply.

Tim 

img_20200527_114442.jpg

Edited By Tim Cooper on 27/05/2020 12:37:55

Edited By Tim Cooper on 27/05/2020 12:38:32

ashley needham29/05/2020 08:53:13
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Tim. Too tidy by far. Can you please scatter some sawdust around along with a good selection of unrelated tools to make us feel comfortable? 😲

However, like the portable beer cooler hiding just at the stern...

Thats a good looking hull to be sure, well fast..can’t remember just as I type how you were going to power it?

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor