Forum sponsored by Dremel

MOTOR SAILOR LIFEBOAT

scratch build of a motor sailor lifeboat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard30/03/2020 22:17:08
1272 forum posts
370 photos

this is a catch up build of a model I started last august and which is now within a couple of months away from completion.

it will be done in photos only, but the choice of boats was made by the organiser of the Lytham st Annes lifeboat museum who asked me if i could build a model for them, of the pulling/sailing Blackpool lifeboat Samuel Fletcher of Manchester.

and so i decided to build a model of the motor sailor Sir Fitzroy Clayton, FLEETWOODS LIFEBOAT from 1929.

Photos will follow as soon as i have uploaded them.

neil howard-pritchard30/03/2020 23:56:00
1272 forum posts
370 photos

a

the two lifeboats I am modelling are this boat and a similar one

sfc1 (8).jpg

and this one

sfc1 (1).jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:03:31
1272 forum posts
370 photos

and the two began when I made a call to my friend Dave Metcalf who supplied me with two hulls and end boxes for a suitable boat to fit the models.

sfc1 (3).jpg

first task was to mark and cut away the "deadwood" recess for the propeller on the motor lifeboat

sfc1 (5).jpg

and then to fill in the tunnels with polyester filler for the sailing lifeboat, and then to drill for the prop shaft, before beginning a straight forward build of deck supports, and decking.

sfc2 (1).jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:05:48
1272 forum posts
370 photos

an easy process done many times using my band saw and cutting sections of 10 x 10 mm obeche strips from a plank.

sfc2 (2).jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:07:01
1272 forum posts
370 photos

sfc2 (3).jpg

sfc2 (5).jpg

then down to pinning and fitting the bilge skeg keels.

sfc2 (4).jpg

sfc2 (6).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/03/2020 00:10:32

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:12:31
1272 forum posts
370 photos

f

itting out the supports for the end boxes are shown in the last picture and the next one

sfc2 (8).jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:19:15
1272 forum posts
370 photos

then comes fitting of the end boxes and sealing them up to make air tight flotation aids to the lifeboats.

sfc2 (9).jpg

then it was a case of making up the deck fittings for the tow lifeboats...….the engine casing and cover plus the drop keel housing box for the motor sailor, and the two dummy drop keel boxes for the sailing boast.

plus at this stage i planked and caulked the decks [using aliphatic resin quick grab glue coloured with black ink to represent the caulking..........the messy job is easily sanded off later

sfc3 (3).jpg

sfc3 (4).jpg

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:23:40
1272 forum posts
370 photos

next job was to make the frames for the side benches. these were made from 5mm square section obeche and glued together using aliphatic resin…….only 88 pieces to cut accurately...….I make a jig to cut them with a fine blade pad saw.

sfc3 (5).jpg

stained with mahogany colron water based wood colouring and fitted

sfc3 (6).jpg

then the flotation boxes were made from 1.0 plasticard, and being hollow add just a little more aid to keeping the boat afloat in event of an accident.  the boxes for the static sailing boat was made from solid obeche……….then both sets were sprayed white. 

sfc3 (7).jpg

sfc3 (8).jpg

sfc3 (9).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/03/2020 00:32:11

neil howard-pritchard31/03/2020 00:34:05
1272 forum posts
370 photos

and finally for tonight, the rudders were made from 100 thick oak planks, and cut and fitted to the receptive holes in the rudder skegs

sfc4 (1).jpg

Bob Abell31/03/2020 07:10:02
8562 forum posts
2642 photos

You've got your hands full there mate?

They remind me of an old Lifeboat beached at Conway about 20 years ago

I got talking to the owner, who said it was the oldest lifeboat in the UK

Can't remember it's name now, but you probably know of it?

I think it's in a Museum somewhere now

All the best, Neil and keep safe

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor