Osprey - Trip Boat 28'

Fictional Day Boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 229/03/2020 17:54:30
2055 forum posts
721 photos

img_20200328_152024.jpgHi All,

As we are confined to barracks and needing insperation, my lovely wife is an avid jigsaw puzzler, and her latest one has an idyllic scene with a brightly coloured boat at the quay just caught my eye, and thinking of happy times to come in the summer !! I thought it was the next project after The Cigarette at Christmas, so here goes, all comments welcome 😀 at the moment I'm thinking ply keel, foam board bulkheads and balsa/glass cloth skins.

Regards Rayimg_20200329_173958.jpg

harry smith 130/03/2020 03:09:21
1038 forum posts
1215 photos

Hi Ray

The boat in the picture looks a lot larger when you see the smaller one behind !!!!

Harry Smith

PS Tasmania is in totally lockdown (FORTRESS TASMANIA), all people coming in go straight to government isolation centres( 5 five hotels) for 14 days.

People over 70 are required to stay at home, only out for food and medical supplies.

Oh well, more workshop time.

Hope I have enough building supplies !!!!

redpmg30/03/2020 15:51:42
91 forum posts
10 photos

Hi Ray .

Nice project there - are you going to use a beamy hull similar to the short version of the Maine Lobster Boats ?.

Tim Rowe 230/03/2020 15:59:00
5 forum posts

Nice subject Ray.

Reminds me a bit of Poole Quay.

Good question about the beam. For me I would keep it launch-like with a moderate beam and easily driven hull.

The four sections of the screen look a bit odd and I woinder if just a simple split screen would look better. Would definitely be on my list to build if you hadn't already given me enough to do!! wink

Like the paper drawing as well.

Galileo is at last in paint and varnish.

Tim R

Ray Wood 230/03/2020 17:27:48
2055 forum posts
721 photos

Hi Tim & Peter,

Well I'm thinking at 28" long 9 ' 6" would look about right ?

regards Ray

redpmg30/03/2020 22:43:56
91 forum posts
10 photos

Sounds good Ray - that would probably be around 1/12 scale so you can use doll house items on board - eg cold drink cans,. bottles . food baskets etc for the pax......... gives the boat life - but i would stick to the4 windows - gives it character !

ashley needham31/03/2020 08:55:58
6676 forum posts
165 photos

Don’t forget this is an artists impression and therefore not necessarily depicting a particular vessel...

So saying, it would be nice to recreate the boat as seen in the puzzle, warts and all. It would be nice to display the finished boat propped up alongside a mock jetty with a few figures and a picture of the puzzle ?

Ashley

Ray Wood 231/03/2020 09:56:54
2055 forum posts
721 photos

Hi All,

Yes a good looking boat, which I guess could equally be a day fishing boat, My eye was caught by the general lines, I'm currently drafting up some fullsize drawings to build too

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 231/03/2020 19:14:58
2055 forum posts
721 photos

Hi All,

Out with my super mdf drawing board in the conservatory for good light, scaling up from my scaled sketch to the 1" to the foot, this will need a population/crowdimg_20200331_185223.jpg of figures to sit in the back of the boat, next stage will be to complete the plan view, I went for 9" beam by 28" long should make a handy size model, draft the bulkheads then we should be able to get building 😀

regards Ray

Tim Rowe01/04/2020 11:55:39
405 forum posts
440 photos

Hello Ray

I seemed to have made a safe return from cyberspace and now back on the forum in my original guise.

Now motivated to get back to posting and following this one with interest.

Best regards

Tim R

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor