Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Identifying which kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Field 328/03/2020 21:04:24
9 forum posts
4 photos

I bought a box of ‘bits’, see my previous thread on trying to identify a russian sail boat.

I have found what I think is a plastic trent class lifeboat (the photo in the box was a bit of a giveaway).

I need the fittings to go with it but all I know is is that it is 20” long, I have no other information and I was hoping someone might be able to identify which kit it is.

6edbb910-9695-44ac-b9ae-fcedd0de059a.jpeg

Many thanks

Martin

Malcolm Frary29/03/2020 09:42:57
831 forum posts

Model Slipway "Small Trent"?

If so, the "fittings" consist of a pack of various wire, brass and brass plated.  Anything else you make yourself.

Edited By Malcolm Frary on 29/03/2020 09:46:15

redpmg29/03/2020 17:45:50
80 forum posts
9 photos

Looks like the Slipway Trent - not sure of the scale but see they have fittings for 1/16 scale Trent on their website - under lifeboat fittings - but no kit . Unfortunately these would be too large as the Trent was nearly 47' - this 20" hull appears to be 1/28 approx - at 1/16 would only be 33'.

However the pics of the fittings might well give you an idea of what is needed

Martin Field 329/03/2020 17:48:24
9 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for the reply's.

it seems a strange size and having only some of the kit, it is going to be an interesting build.

Dave Milbourn29/03/2020 18:07:14
3923 forum posts
252 photos

Model Slipway produced a little kit called the Rescue Boat (so as not to offend or break the copyright of RNLI). It was essentially a mini-Trent and mainly vac-formed styrene, like the Puffer and Drifter kits. This is the kit pictured. It was one of Lawrie White's "Why not?" projects; you might be able to contact Jackie White for possible further details either via their website or through The Other Forum where she posts as Model_Slipway.

Dave M

redpmg29/03/2020 18:16:16
80 forum posts
9 photos

That's the very one Dave - trust you to get it right .

Actually bought one at one of the boat shows - ended up going to another member of the club he was far more interested in building it ,

Still have the Drifter kit and all the other essential electronic bits in the box bought from Craig at Beale Park  - that's how long ago it was . Nice little kit altogether.

Edited By redpmg on 29/03/2020 18:20:46

Martin Field 329/03/2020 20:54:28
9 forum posts
4 photos

Thats brilliant, you guys are awesome.

found a build log on another forum so all systems go.

Martin Field 312/04/2020 22:52:31
9 forum posts
4 photos

As an update, I contacted Model Slipway and they said they discontinued this model 10 years ago so no fittings are available.

if anyone knows where I can get an original fittings kit, or where sells a 1/28 fittings for a trent lifeboat, please let me know.

thank you

Malcolm Frary13/04/2020 08:54:40
831 forum posts

When I built mine, the "fittings" were, depending on the item, either vac mouldings on the sheets, or wire that could be cut, shaped and soldered. Things like life rings, deck cleats and bollards, when the need came for replacement, I just got the right generic size from Reade Models, who were exhibiting at a show at the right time.

It was never intended as a comprehensive super-scale model.

I diverged from the instructions a time or two - instead of using the supplied cross-hull shelf for the battery, it lived fore and aft on top of the prop shaft. Better stability, and it became possible to use a 7 cell pack. The shelf was good for mounting the radio, ESC and servo. I eventually used a speed 400 motor and a smaller prop.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor