By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Using Lipo Batteries for a Grapuner BB700 Turbo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rodrigo Gonzalez28/03/2020 19:58:32
2 forum posts

Hello: I have a Model SlipwayTamar Lifeboat with twin Graupner BB700 Turbo 12v motors, with Action Electronics P94 Mixer/controler, running on a 12v PB Battery. It runs nice, but I little bit slow.

I want to put more power on it to get it running faster.

I was thinking in using two 11.1v Lipo Batteries to put more Amps, although its a little less nominal voltage.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good solution?

If not, can you recommend me what motors would be a good upgrade? (the P94 con handle 24v, and there is no problem going to 24v with the batteries)

Thank you very much!!

Dave Milbourn28/03/2020 20:18:56
3915 forum posts
252 photos

Rodrigo

Lead-acid batteries are not the best solution to any problem - except maybe as weights in the workshop or for doorstops. I would definitely not recommend them for use in a Tamar lifeboat of this scale. They are too heavy and deliver little power under significant load.

Also please don't confuse Amps with Volts. In very simple terms Volts affect the motor speed while Amps dictate the running time. There's an article here which was written for folk who don't quite understand electrical things. But I don't understand electronics

You will certainly find that the much-reduced weight of LiPo packs c/w SLA batteries makes your model faster, and they will also give you greater duration.

I would also say that running those motors @ around 12v is the optimum - if you apply any higher voltage you will reduce their efficiency.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 28/03/2020 20:28:48

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 28/03/2020 20:30:29

ashley needham28/03/2020 21:36:17
6209 forum posts
238 photos

Hi Rodrigo and welcome to the forum.

You may well find that performance is improved by using at 3s Lipo, due to their ability to keep the voltage up when under load. Several of my models have demonstrated improved performance simply by using a Lipo.

Despite that a 3s cell is rated at 11v, in reality a fully charged cell is about 12.5v and will maintain this voltage for a while even under heavy load.

Ashley

Malcolm Frary29/03/2020 09:38:37
826 forum posts

One of the best ways to get more performance is to add more lightness (Colin Champan, Lotus). For the same Amp-Hour number as a Lead Acid battery, a LiPo of about the same voltage will weigh a fraction. Less weight to push around. Lead Acid batteries are unable to sustain a high current drain (they can do so briefly, else your car would never start) but can not do it continuously without damaging themselves.

Apart from their use as ballast, SLA batteries have the virtue that their voltage drops off progressively as they discharge, so you get plenty of warning. Lithioum batteries give their full output until theu suddenly stop giving volts. They do need either a warning circuit or an ESC that has a safety cut out built in.

Rodrigo Gonzalez30/03/2020 13:37:50
2 forum posts

Thank you very much for your replies and advise!!!!

I have to tell you that weight was never an issue for me as I wanted this boat to look like when running. But I understand acid batteries limitations.

I'm going to try with lipos and I'll let you know the results!!

Best regards and take care with the virus!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor