Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell24/03/2020 15:24:42
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

image.jpegSorry Colin

You can erase this if not suitable

I am at a complete stand still with the Virus restrictions

I need to get provisions

Am I safe shopping wearing this respirator?

What is the alternative?

Bob

Dave Milbourn24/03/2020 15:50:19
3923 forum posts
252 photos

Bob

There are much better websites than this where you can find the advice and information you need. At the same time there's an awful lot of misinformed speculation and downright dangerous nonsense out there so my advice woud be to trust ONLY HM Government or NHS/Health England websites.

Good luck and stay safe.

Dave M

Colin Bishop24/03/2020 16:09:37
4393 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles

Official advice on link below Bob. Have you got anyone who can food shop for you? Many areas now have volunteers who can help. Your local council website may have details.

**LINK**

And keep watching the BBC news on TV.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/03/2020 16:12:49

Bob Abell24/03/2020 16:19:58
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

Dave, I posted my question on this sight knowing I would get a sensible reply and could discuss it

Colin, if I had someone to do the shopping........What makes this person special?

ie....Why can't I do the shopping?

I can't believe the Police can keep track of people walking about?

Bob

Colin Bishop24/03/2020 16:27:38
4393 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles

Bob, the reason it is best that you do not do the shopping is that if you catch this virus at your age you are very likely to need hospitalisation from which you may not recover.

Your respirator will NOT keep you safe. You must stay at least 2 metres away from anyone else. If you have disposable gloves then wear them. Do not touch your face and when you get home thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water.

They are plugging this advice and the reasons for it on TV 24 hours a day. Surely you must have seen it?

Colin

Paul T24/03/2020 16:46:55
6919 forum posts
1164 photos
2 articles

Captain Bob

Boris is doing his best to look after you and has asked you to stay indoors because this nasty virus likes to attack and kill those people who are over 60.

It is a very insidious disease that spreads very quickly between people.

If you catch it there is a very good chance that your immune system will go into overdrive and basically fill your lungs with fluid, even in hospital and on a respirator your chances of survival are less than 10%.

Yes you could do your own shopping but in doing so you will come into contact with lots of people, any of who could be infectious and infect you. In your case going shopping is like playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber.

Your painting mask isn’t good enough as its filters won’t stop the virus, you might as well put your head in a bucket as it will give you better protection.

The only masks that work are N95 and these don’t protect your eyes.

You haven’t gone through two world wars to be knocked off by a bug so do yourself a huge favour and stay indoors.

Paul

Colin Bishop24/03/2020 16:48:45
4393 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles

Lots of information and advice on the BBC website too:

**LINK**

olin

Ray Wood 224/03/2020 16:55:23
1732 forum posts
628 photos

Hi Bob,

This is sound advice, even as a 64 year old youngster ! I'm working from home and only going out for beer, and doing what my wife tells me, she has changed my name to "Wash your hands"

Still look on the Brightside, your sure to get a part on Doctor Who with that mask

Best Regards Ray

Bob Abell24/03/2020 17:34:55
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

Thanks to everybody for your kind advice, I shall not go out now, until the coast is clear

I do have a son who can help us out, but I`m not happy about it really

I did call at the chemist yesterday, in my mask, the chap is very knowledgeable and he said the masks are only to stop the face being touched and the virus is not airborne......Which now sounds a bit suspicious?

In Tameside, there are only 35 officially confirmed cases, so the News says, which I find hard to believe

Hoping for the best for all of us, good luck to everybody

Bob

Chris E 125/03/2020 09:48:12
28 forum posts

The number of confirmed cases is a red herring as they have mainly been testing those admitted to hospital. What you are saying is really that 35 people have been admitted to hospital. As evidence suggests that the number of diseased doubles every 4 days and it takes at least 2 weeks from getting the disease to being ill enough to need hospital care, and most people don't need hospital care, you are vastly underestimating the scale of the problem. It numbers also have the potential to grow very quickly.

Please don't jump on me if my numbers are slightly wrong as they are the best that I can put together from the incomplete information out there.

Take it very seriously and stay safe.

PS I would be very very wary of supermarket trolley/basket handles as they appear to be the perfect way to transmit the disease. If you go shopping remember that anything that you touched and bring home could be carrying the virus. It will still be there after you have washed your hands at home.

Edited By Chris E 1 on 25/03/2020 09:52:44

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor