Scratchbuilding Miniature Steam & Motorships

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson08/03/2020 08:38:46
1663 forum posts
298 photos

Miniature Shipbuilding

Small Steamers & Motor Ships

I am pleased to announce that this download is now available, price £2.99.

41 Pages, A4. 9,526 words, 71 images, five plans.

Please click the link and scroll down a bit after it opens to read the synopsis.

I wrote this in answer to nurmous requests on how to make a start in miniature shipbuilding -

**LINK**

glen helen 20 complete but not in sea.jpg

Adrian Tullett08/03/2020 10:52:19
6 forum posts

Excellent piece of work. Looking at your models I thought I could never achieve that, but this gives a great starting point. Looking forward to reading this thoroughly later.

Adrian

Colin Bishop08/03/2020 11:00:12
4387 forum posts
6052 photos
394 articles

Bob,

Just bought and downloaded. No problems. I look forward to reading it.

Colin

Bob Wilson08/03/2020 11:23:05
1663 forum posts
298 photos

Thanks Adrian & Colin. I produced this one because of a number of requests from modellers who wished to get into this sort of thing, but were not sure where to start - plans, tools, materials etc. I suppose the beauty of it is that it doesn't cost much. Probably the glue is the most expensive item. I am hoping to get back to model shipbuilding very soon now. I have been delayed recently by the dreadful weather with freezing cold and rain most of the time. I like to start by making the cases first, and this requires me to work outside for a while. At last it looks like the weather is improving, with a mild day, blue skies, but high winds at the moment.

Bob

Banjoman09/03/2020 06:43:00
1141 forum posts
2414 photos

Bob,

May I take it that this latest e-publication would be superfluous to requirement if one already has several of your printed books?

Kind regards,

Mattias

Bob Wilson09/03/2020 07:06:54
1663 forum posts
298 photos

Hi Mattias,

I always try to introduce something new into each one, and I would say that although some of it could be considered repetitive, it was written in answer to the oft-repeated claim that there is a lack of plans of merchant ships. Included in this download are General Arrangement plans of the British coasters Helen Craig, Signality, Charles M and Adaptity. Also the tug SA Everard. Plus a list of books that contain numerous plans of merchant ships Although the plans of SA Everard, have already appeared in one of my free download that you probably have. Below is the profile of the Signality, drawn by myself. As usual, there are no warships in the download.

Best wishes

Bob

signality profile.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 09/03/2020 07:07:37

pete graham31/03/2020 09:35:33
39 forum posts

Hi Bob,

The book stall at our village summer fete sometimes turns up the most unexpected treasures.....this was last year, seven pristine hard back " Model Shipwright" volumes bound together with a large rubber band and offered at £1 for the lot. These were all issued during 1972 and 1973. I think you may well guess what's coming next !!.

I found your excellent feature about waterline sailing ships and amongst other things, was most intrigued by your somewhat singular constructional methods and materials. Great stuff..

I started modelling ships in the early 50s and the old faithful balsa cement was the de rigeur adhesive but I do remember also cajoling the "chippy" into parting with rubber solution and foul smelling stuff which was probably rabbit glue. Regarding my range of "fixatives" now I often wonder how we all got on without Super glue and 5 minute epoxy.

Will be in touch later re " download".

With Regards

Pete

Bob Wilson31/03/2020 10:51:31
1663 forum posts
298 photos

Hi Pete,

Thanks. That was a bargain, two year's worth for £1. At that time, I was still at sea, and would be for a further 20 years!laugh I had only just started making miniatures at that time, so they were just average. In later years, John Bowen, the editor of Model Shipwright, contacted me and asked if I would like to become a regular contributer, and I agreed. I produced something for every issue from number 127 through to 144. After that, it became annual rather than quarterly, and I contributed to each issue from 2010 to 2013 inclusive when they ceased publication.

The above download has been my most successful ever, I am pleased to say.

Best wishes

Bob

pete graham31/03/2020 17:27:55
39 forum posts

Hi Bob, Just spotted a 1973 Model Shipwright at £9.49. !!

John Bowen's miniature merchant ship plans, superb.... made a number of models from his 2 later manuals but unable to trace in the trade what I think would be his first book published in 1973 . Had drawings of BP tanker British Endurance which I was familiar with . In fact, I think this was his only example of a tanker.

I t was interesting to see the several features presented by P.N Thomas , I had some good telephone chats with him about tug boats on the Tyne which my grandfather was involved in.

Best Wishes

Pete

Bob Wilson31/03/2020 18:11:48
1663 forum posts
298 photos

Hi Pete,

His first book was Waterline Ship Models. If you look in **LINK**

You will find a number of them, but most in the USA. The UK listings are too expenisve to consider. They sometimes turn up on Ebay or Amazon though.

I built this one of the Carmania from a John Bowen miniature plan! I photographed it from a low angle and added the reflection via the PC.

Bob

carmania with reflections (large).jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor