Forum sponsored by Dremel

Acoms technisport 2.4ghz

Can I use for a boat?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shrek10/08/2008 09:41:00
16 forum posts

Hi,

I have just purchased Acoms Technicsport 2.4GHZ radio.  On the website I purchased it from it stated it was suitable for cars and boats.  When reading the instructions there is a slip of paper enclosed stating "Not suitable for aircraft or boats".  Can anyone please advise me as I have just started this hobby and not too familiar with the technical equipment.

Many Thanks

Tony

ashley needham10/08/2008 17:20:00
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Tony. On this very forum there is a review of  the Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz Digital Proportional R/C System, have a search......

I think that may answer a few questions? Ashley

Shrek10/08/2008 18:16:00
16 forum posts

Hi   Ashley

Thanks for your response, Ive looked at that review but im still not sure that the set i have purchased is any good for boats. Maybe i will buy a basic 27/40mhz radio.

many thanks

Tony

Charles Oates11/08/2008 08:38:00
630 forum posts
51 photos

Why wouldn't the set be ok for a boat?  As far as I know the frequency is fine and the set a decent one. The only disscusion I'm aware of is the use of 2.4 gig in submarines where i've heard is not so good. Could the slip of paper have been meant for another country where 2.4 gig isn't legal?

Anyway, why not just ring acoms importer or a decent model shop to check. Much cheaper than buying another set.

Chas

Shrek11/08/2008 16:16:00
16 forum posts

Hi Chas

Thanks for the reply, i took your advice and contacted the acoms importer and they confirmed that this radio set is not suitable for boats. The reason he gave was poor recepition on water.

Many thanks

Tony

Manxman12/08/2008 06:41:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Shrek,

I'm with Ashley here, and thought these radios were suitable for boats.  As I understand it, there are 2 short aerials (about 4")  the receiver and both aerials need to be above the water line,  one aerial horizontal and the other vertical, which means one would probably come through the deck, say inside a plastic tube and disguised.

If you already have a boat, why not try it in it !, but make sure there is someone else sailing as well just in case you need a push to shore.  You have nothing to lose as you've already bought your radio.

Cheers - Ken

ashley needham12/08/2008 08:10:00
7318 forum posts
156 photos
Shrek. I think the problem for this set may be that the aerials are short and so their siting needs to be chosen with more care than yer ordinary 27/40 mhz sets. However, I would imagine that for most "normal" distances it would be ok, and perhaps it is the case that the longer ranges are not quite so good.. Manufacturers are always cautious in regards to what their stuff is or isnt good for to save rubbish press or claims etc . Ashley
Shrek12/08/2008 16:00:00
16 forum posts

Hi all

Many thanks to  Chas, ken, and Ashley for your advice.  I contacted the shop yesterday and were happy to refund me  which they did no problem, So now i am looking for another radio set, Can any of you recommend a mid range radio set ?

Many thanks again

Tony 

ashley needham12/08/2008 17:31:00
7318 forum posts
156 photos
Shrek, If i was getting a multi channel radio set I would get one of those 40m frequency hopping (Futaba is it?) types, then you dont have to worry about crystals and all that. A chap on our pond has one and it seems to work great. Ashley
Charles Oates12/08/2008 18:14:00
630 forum posts
51 photos

Me too, a synthesised (?) set seems to be the future, no sets of crystals to buy at £10 plus a time, and lots of frequencies to choose from. I've not heard of any problems.

Chas

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor