Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sails and ropes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop23/02/2020 14:38:54
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Ray, the actual sail from Victory has been preserved at Portsmouth. It was on display for a while during the events to mark the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar.

Colin

Bob Abell26/02/2020 09:01:36
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Here is the actual sail on display at Portsmouth

Morbidly fascinating?

Bob

sail display.jpg

Bob Abell26/02/2020 09:06:08
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Cannon ball damage discovered in the Hull planking

Fascinating or what?

Bob

crater.jpg

Banjoman26/02/2020 10:56:23
1145 forum posts
2423 photos

Bob,

On YouTube, there's is a short video where the Vasa Museum (and others, I think) are test firing a full size replica of one of the Vasa's guns against a target which is also a full size solid oak replica of a wooden man o'war's sides. I believe the tests were carried out at the Bofors test firing range ...

Anyway, here's the link: **LINK**

There are more video clips from the same occasion available, although mainly in Swedish. Still, the images speak very much for themselves!

Mattias

Bob Abell26/02/2020 12:32:12
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Thank you, Banjo.....And a Happy New Year

Are you building anything at the moment?

Bob

Colin Bishop26/02/2020 12:38:04
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

An impressive video. You can only shudder at the effect those splinters would have had on the ship's crew.

A few RN ships were built of teak in India and the crews apparently hated them because a teak splinter wound almost always turned septic

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 26/02/2020 12:38:29

Bob Abell26/02/2020 12:56:39
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

An excellent demonstration of fire power!

The Oak looked very brittle and offered no protection to the gun crews

The shot would probably gone through both sides of the ship...…...As clean as a whistle

On Victory`s first pass through the Enemy fleet, she gave a full broadsides on both sides and raked the enemy ships end on!

Must have been a dreadful sight

Can`t really understand the purpose of the sea battles at the period...…..

Why shoot the sails? etc

Why shoot the hulls? etc

It must have been chaotic...….Drifting about. unable to steer etc

I wonder if they bounced the shot off the sea?

Bob

Roger Clark26/02/2020 18:15:17
250 forum posts
88 photos

The shots at the sails were attempts to bring the masts down and the shots into the hull were to disable the guns, those battles were for sea supremacy and control of commerce, much the same as recent wars and flag waving really.

Regards

Roger

Banjoman26/02/2020 20:12:51
1145 forum posts
2423 photos

A very Happy New Year to you, too, Bob

Well, yes, I am currently building summat, but not anything at all boat or ship shaped, I'm afraid, as right now I'm busy making a small table to use as a sharpening station in my workshop, based around two old offcuts of Corian that I saved from a kitchen renovation some 15 or so years ago; they will of course make up the top and shelf, being nice, smooth, flat, water proof and very easy to wipe clean.

This is my sketch for the project (all measurements in mm):

sharpeningstation.jpg

Apart from giving me a dedicated sharpening station (which is handy, as it can go next to the workshop sink, and have the most frequently used stones permanently set out and ready), the project is also a test of my own mettle against American hard maple as a timber, as that is what I'd like to use for an upcoming work bench build; I thus started this particular job by ripping and cross cutting a couple of raw planks of 8/4 and 6/4 hard maple ...

img_7946.jpg

... to break the stock down to rough size ...

img_8006.jpg

... before hand planing it smooth, to thickness ...

img_8021.jpg

... to width and foursquare.

img_8028.jpg

Right now I'm chopping out the mortises in the legs ...

img_8059.jpg

... after which it'll be time to saw the tenons on the rails.

img_8062.jpg

As I just said, this is, as it were, a warm-up and training project for what I plan to do next, which is to build a 7' x 24" x 4" work bench; I have already bought all the hardware, and sometime in March or April I plan to travel up to Arnhem in the Netherlands, where there is a first class timber yard, and buy the timber I'll need for that.

However, given that I will then want to give that timber a fair amount of time to acclimatise to my workshop, my thinking right now is that once the timber had been laid in, it would not be a bad moment to finally get on to the Fairey Huntsman that is next on my model boat build list ... We'll see about that, but if I do, I'll be sure to post about it here

Edited By Banjoman on 26/02/2020 20:14:01

Edited By Banjoman on 26/02/2020 20:14:24

Bob Abell26/02/2020 20:32:05
8954 forum posts
2824 photos

Well, you`ve certainly got your hands full this time Banjo!

I like you`re workshop, neat and tidy as I would expect from your goodself

Keep in touch

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor