Forum sponsored by Dremel

Help needed.

Billings Samson 2.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken robertson15/02/2020 11:55:56
7 forum posts
9 photos

Hi All, I was given a Billings Samson 2 a couple of years back but with work and family time never really got much done with it apart from strip down a lot of the super structure and started to tidy it up. I have removed the prop shafts and many of the deck items. Right here goes with my questions.

1. What scale is this model?

2. what would be best new motors to buy and speed controller.

3. what type of batteries are best for the motors.

I would like to do this on a fairly tight budget due to work/disability restraints.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Charles Oates15/02/2020 13:08:24
570 forum posts
46 photos

Hi ken, you'll probably get slightly different answers to this, just because preferences and opinions vary. Here's mine.

Scale, I'm not sure but around 1/20 I think

Motors, I had a quick look at the instructions on Billings site, and was surprised to see that they show mabuchi 380 motors. Those would not be my choice for a 35 inch model. I would use 540 LN motors, the LN bit is important as these are quite different to standard ones. Low current high torque.

Speed controller, I like both component shop and Viper speed controllers. I've never had a problem with either, as long as you use them properly they just work. The 15 amp version will just do, but I recommend a safety margin and get a 25 amp type.

Battery, For normal, is not high performance models like this I suggest a NiMH pack from component shop or other trusted supplier.

You'll need matching couplings and props.

Consider putting in line fuses in the motor wires. I would.

Hope that helps a bit.

ken robertson15/02/2020 13:14:27
7 forum posts
9 photos

Thanks Charles, I have just printed out what you have said so that's now on my list of things to look for. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me and all your valuable info. Cheers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor