Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Servo question - a long shot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F14/02/2020 11:13:03
51 forum posts
67 photos

I've recently acquired a set of servos for a project I'm working on and I'm after some information.

They're old Futaba FP=S18 and 18L (see photo)

I need to know the angle of travel. I've trawled the internet for specs but this model would appear to be somewhat stone age and therefore no information is available. What I have gleaned from various places though is that it could be either 45 or 60 degrees but is this total or either direction? It makes a great difference to my plans.

Just wondering if anyone has any of these and happens to know the answer off hand.

Thanks in advance.

servos.jpg

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 14/02/2020 11:13:41

Dave Milbourn14/02/2020 11:41:26
4013 forum posts
282 photos

Andrew

Servodatabase.com lists all current Futaba servos and the end-to-end speed of every single one of the 169 types listed is quoted over 60 degrees. I reckon this would indicate a total throw of 60°, which is in line with what I can remember of these servos. The logo on the label is the international Futaba symbol and not the Ripmax-Futaba labels we saw on UK imports. The case looks like the type which was called FP-16M in this country.

Sorry I can't be of any more help - the obvious answer would be to plug the beggars in and try them!

Dave M

Ray Wood 214/02/2020 17:36:24
2048 forum posts
720 photos

Hi Andrew,

I learned to fly with those servos with a Futaba M series radio in the 70's, they have changed the plugs since those days 😮

Regards Ray

ashley needham15/02/2020 09:08:56
6666 forum posts
160 photos

I bought a servo tester gadget not long ago, and it was ridiculously cheap and made exactly to answer your sort of question. Recommended.

Ashley

Malcolm Frary15/02/2020 09:19:36
895 forum posts

You will only know what the travel with your radio is after you have tried it with your radio and measured it. There is no rule that says that all transmitters generate the same signal range for the same stick travel.

The plugs will need to either be changed to match current types to se with a modern radio receiver, or be modified or have an adapter made.

Fortunately, the colours have kept the same funtions. When I had an old one to try, I used short lengths of thin copper tube that I had handy so that took care of plugging a male plug into a male receiver board. OK for testing to see it they worked on the bench, not good for real use.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor