Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Antenna placement question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Powell 110/02/2020 21:31:31
38 forum posts
3 photos

Hi just a quick question about 2.4ghz antenna and if they are ok to be place in a 2mm thick plywood hull without any of the antenna being outside. Hope that makes sense

Thanks

Neil

Ray Wood 210/02/2020 21:40:33
2047 forum posts
720 photos

Hi Neil,

Yes that will work on the inside of the boat 😀 it's magic !!

Regards Ray

Neil Powell 110/02/2020 21:47:48
38 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Ray. Glad that you didn't give me a technical explanation, magic will do me 😂

Dave Cooper 610/02/2020 23:22:03
171 forum posts
16 photos

RC radio waves will pass through wood ok but, the other day I was running some tests in the kitchen sink (ie stainless steel all around the Rx). It didn't like it one bit and the servos were hopping mad.... !

Best avoid any metal 'shielding' of the Rx /aerial when planning your installation. Electric motor wires probably carry the greatest currents in a boat and it's good practice to fit some RF (TV type) suppressors to the motor contacts. (sorry, getting a bit tech now !)

Dave

Malcolm Frary14/02/2020 09:51:38
895 forum posts

Receiver aerials should always be as high as is practicable, and not shielded by anything that conducts electricity. Dry wood, paint, plastic, fibreglass are all OK. Metal a definite no-no, carbon fibre, probably not good. That's real carbon fibre, not the pretend stuff which is usually painted plastic.

2G4 aerials lose range if they get below the waterline.

Neil Powell 114/02/2020 10:12:33
38 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Malcolm. Do those guidelines apply to 5.8ghz also.

ashley needham15/02/2020 09:12:10
6666 forum posts
160 photos

Yes, due to the high frequencies.

i think, practically speaking, and providing you don’t motor miles away, as long as the aerial is above the waterline you should be ok.

not come across 5.8ghz...is this a legal frequency in the uk?

Ashley

Malcolm Frary15/02/2020 09:31:51
895 forum posts

The higher the frequency, the smaller the item required to block it. Some commercial items using the amazingly high frequencies use technical trickery to get round the problem and effectively go round corners, but that, as far as I am concerned, is firmly in the realm of magic.

If a 5.8GHz receiver only had one antenna wire this would not apply, I would guess that it would be line of sight only, no interruptions. I haven't spotted any model use of this band, but I expect it will come when smartphones using it become more common and production of the hardware becomes mainstream, and thus cheaper.

Neil Powell 115/02/2020 09:45:34
38 forum posts
3 photos

I want to equip my boat with a 5.8ghz camera with a single antenna tx. My last one had the antenna sticking out the top but it doesn't look nice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor