Forum sponsored by Dremel

August 1989 issue with free plans Santa Ana stern wheeler

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Kelly 601/02/2020 17:26:02
6 forum posts

Hello

Looking for information on this model any one built one in the past

Santa Ana Stern Wheeler, dimensions of the boat and plans if any one know where I might find then . Any help would be appreciated David

Colin Bishop01/02/2020 17:36:38
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

There is one for sale here:

**LINK**

But you would need to check if the plan is included, often they go missing.

Colin

Adrian Tullett02/02/2020 09:42:22
6 forum posts

Check out also Graham Goodchild's book 'Making Radio Controlled Boats'.

Santa Anna is one of the projects incuded (plus you would get seven others to put on your to do list).

There are two available on Ebay at the moment at £8.00 and one for a lot more fore some reason.

Regards

Ade

alan burgess02/02/2020 13:46:19
13 forum posts
8 photos

The Goodchild model plan produces a vessel of 16 inches long and a beam approx 4.5 inches. The 10 page article includes reasonable construction details and a wiring diagram to help install working lights. 2 b&w photos show finished details and a third b&w photo shows the radio and running gear installed.

The plans in the book are actually printed slightly under scale and need enlarging a little to produce the 16 inch model.

Several years ago I considered building it myself. However I decided that the smallish size of the vessel would probably only sail well in 'mill pond' conditions.

David Kelly 602/02/2020 16:57:46
6 forum posts

Hello everyone

Thank you for responding to my post much appreciated Predicament I like the design was thing of utilize

the hull to build a small steam engine boat. Dimensions in design my not allow this ? width looks to be quite narrow to length of hull.

does any one know if you could easily split the hull to ad width to it make a beam width of 6 3/8 in total ?

Edited By David Kelly 6 on 02/02/2020 17:12:00

David Kelly 602/02/2020 17:11:01
6 forum posts
Posted by David Kelly 6 on 02/02/2020 16:57:46:

Hello everyone

Thank you for responding to my post much appreciated Predicament I like the design was thing of utilize

the hull to build a small steam engine boat. Dimensions in design my not allow this ? width looks to be quite narrow to length of hull.

does any one know if you could easily split the hull to ad width to it make a beam width of 6 3/8 in total ?

ashley needham02/02/2020 17:51:05
6666 forum posts
160 photos

David. take the plans to a copy shop and simply get them enlarged to whatever size you want. The actual drawing lines will be a bit fatter, but by times-ing the ACTUAL drawing width by your enlargement factor will produce the correct reading.

16 x 4.5 seems very long and thin to me? having the plans enlarged by a factor of 1.5 will give you 24 x 6.75 which would be a better size for pond work.

You COULD add a couple of inches to the width but you would be virtually redesigning the thing....easier to just make it a bit bigger!

Ashley

alan burgess02/02/2020 19:52:27
13 forum posts
8 photos

16 x 4.5 was a very quick estimation.

It's difficult to measure precisely as the plan in the book is stitched into the spine !!

Actual beam is more like 4.75 inches. The last 3.5 inches (approx) of the hull includes the stern paddle. The 'floaty' hull is nearer just over 12 inches.

So, that's a little bit shorter and a little but wider.

Ray Wood 202/02/2020 21:22:45
2047 forum posts
720 photos

This sounds to me way too small to support the weight of a steam power plant? Unless it's a special job? There have been steam powered RC aeroplanes flown in the past using spirit firing and a aerosol can for a boiler!!!

Regards Ray

David Kelly 603/02/2020 03:27:52
6 forum posts

Hi everyone

Thanks for the additional info appreciated !

quite small steam engine, and boiler design, is this a planked hull

does any one have pic's . From looking at plans could you ad to the beam width with out to much trouble or would it be difficult to ad to the existing design looks like a flat bottom designed hull . thanks

Edited By David Kelly 6 on 03/02/2020 03:28:49

Edited By David Kelly 6 on 03/02/2020 03:29:35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor