Drivelines

Principles of installing running gear in Model Boats by Glynn Guest

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop16/01/2020 14:09:24
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Given the regularity with which this topic comes up, both here and elsewhere, I have posted the article Glynn Guest wrote for the 2011 Special Issue which I edited.

**LINK**

I hope people will find it helpful.

Colin

ashley needham16/01/2020 18:52:40
6666 forum posts
160 photos

See, a good use of previous copy.... 🍻

Ashley

redpmg18/01/2020 19:52:15
91 forum posts
10 photos

Agreed Ashley - very useful - there must be more articles by Glynn that are equally relevant . Thank you for posting it Colin.

Ray Wood 218/01/2020 21:35:34
2047 forum posts
720 photos

Hi all,

Gone are the days when a novice might actually buy Model Boats magazine to see how to do the basics??

Although I gather the mag's circulation is good currently with slightly updated contributors and variety of content 😀

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop18/01/2020 22:11:30
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Surprisingly, it has been the case that more boat modellers buy the magazine than actively participate on internet forums. I know of many excellent modellers who do not frequent forums at all. Others 'lurk' but don't get involved.

There are a lot of people who still prefer hard copy which you can read in the bath or even in the smallest room!

Colin

ps: My latest Kindle E reader is waterproof...smiley

redpmg19/01/2020 14:39:57
91 forum posts
10 photos

Colin - you have to bear in mind not all are as up on technology as yourself - there were a lot of members of the MBC I belonged to in UK who did not use the Internet or a PC/laptop let alone smartphones (which are newish anyway) . When most of the members were young - myself included - copies were made on a Gestetner duplicator via a typed sheet , messages were sent by telegraph /teleprinter , phones were hand dialed often through a manual exchange, some even on party lines. Lots of old hands simply never invested in the new technology which they did not understand or trust. Met a graphic artist for instance who used drawing board and photographic procedures . Too late he realised there was drawing software like Corel around and had to switch to photo-journalism to make a living . ( He was producing an article on the Christchurch/Mudeford Ferries - one of which was a beautiful teak built ex Windemere steam launch ) In my twenties drew up a design for a Shell gallon oil can to help a girlfriend under pressure to deliver. Took a couple of days at double size to be photographically reduced for printing . Same thing nowadays would take about an hour to complete for printing on Corel . Due to the nature of my work as a forensic/management accountant was forced into using computers from their early introduction with floppy discs etc - when you had to have a good knowledge of MS Dos to use them - so was one of the few of my contemporaries who did so. Obviously have kept fairly up to date over the years.

You are obviously far more advanced in the usage of a smartphone etc than I - but the internet service here is not nearly as good .So although the internet and a PC/laptop are useful for work/communication also prefer hard copy when it comes to reading, ( latest copy of MB is always by my bedside for a few days.)

Kindle is simply not the same...............although my son who is in IT for a living has tried many times to convince me otherwise. But then he has also tried the latest Virtual Reality headset on me too - not something I fancy ............

Ray Wood 219/01/2020 15:41:41
2047 forum posts
720 photos

Hi Peter,

I think we are all in the same boat with technology over the last 60 years, my first office had a telex machine and a typing pool of lovely ladies 😀

Things still got done unbelievably, mixed feelings about the new tech!! And those round wheels are much better than those old square ones 😮

Still no internet would mean no forum !! Some tech is useful 😂

Virtual reality head sets are great On a flight sims, being able to look all around is brilliant.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 19/01/2020 15:43:54

Colin Bishop19/01/2020 15:50:40
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

I remember all the things you mendion in the first part of your post, been there done that and used a Gestetner duplicator for the club newsletter back in the 70s (ink everywhere). My trainspotting involved steam engines...

Yes, I used MSDOS too as a self taught application writer and also had a couple of Sinclair Spectrum games published by the then owners of Model Boats magazine. You can still get them online with an emulator programme. Horribly crude by today's standards but still playable. I installed the first PC local area network at the County Council department I worked in including laying the cables and setting up all the workstations and servers. (just green screens then). All lots of fun.

I make very little use of a smartphone compared with what it can do and what others use it for such as social meeja kulou I simply use it as a tool for the bits I find useful for the things I do.

No, Kindle is not the same as a proper book and I love my hundreds of books which will probably bring the ceilings down at some point. But I do a lot of reading, fiction and non fiction and when going on holiday involving a flight the weight of real books takes up far too much of my baggage allowance so in that case the Kindle is very useful. It is also possible to download well written very cheap light fiction to the Kindle and I'm happy to pay £1.99 a book instead of £8.99 f0r a paperback,, bearing in mind that most of the stuff I read isn't published in hard copy format anyway.

But yes, many people only embrace modern technology to a limited extent and in in the case of the readership of Model Boats which is probably an average age of around 69, most of them do not go on Forums but simply prefer the hard copy magazine, more power to their elbow.

Colin

redpmg20/01/2020 17:51:12
91 forum posts
10 photos

Gave up model aircraft many years ago Ray - got too expensive .......being distracted for a few seconds meant my last model a biplane tried to demolish the only brick structure on our field - the toilet............Even my old faithful a AM 2.5 did not.survive so that was the end of it.

Ten or so years later built a 60" high wing aileron trainer for a friend - on its second outing the only other flier around (a glider type ) switched on his transmitter on takeoff without checking what frequency we were on - exit both models. That was the very last straw............ Took months to rebuild - not sure if it ever flew again...........

Flew an RC electric flapping wing bird with grandson a few years ago - that was fun ............and cheap

VR not too much point for model boats - can understand its use for aircraft.

Kindle itself is very expensive here Colin and the books are not cheap either...... easier to visit the charity shops for second hand paperbacks. Also read a great deal . Have you read all of Brian Callisons ones on the merchant navy ? Favourite author by far - all very different other than the Trapp stories unlike some RN type authors who tend to use the same general formula each time.........

Edited By redpmg on 20/01/2020 17:51:57

Colin Bishop20/01/2020 18:08:08
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Yes, read all the Callison books years ago. At his peak he aimed to put out a book a year but then he just stopped. Guess he got too old, he is 86 now.. He really did know his stuff professionally though from his seafaring background. Ferry Down was of particular interest as at that time we were making regular overnight trips to France for Gite holidays and it wasn't difficult to relate detail in the book to our own familiarity with the ships.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor