Forum sponsored by Dremel

Motors & Overheating

Motors & Overheating

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fatcat05/08/2008 10:13:00
41 forum posts

Hi again,

well just been setting up my running gear and have noticed that even when the motors are not running, (just sat there on standby with batteries connected etc.) and have noticed that the motor casing is getting really hot. also the connected speed controller is getting quite hot. i have looked for short circuits but theres nothing obvious. i'm running a seperate circuit for each motor.

I'm using torpedo 850 motors, electronize fr30hx esc's, 12v 7ah batteries all connected by 30 amp choc block connector and fuses. ive just disconnected everything and motor is still really hot, theres a lot of residual heat comming out.

any ideas?

Dan

Bob Abell05/08/2008 11:11:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Switch off ..........and wait for a reply!

Have you got fuses in the system?

Interesting?

Bob

Bob Abell05/08/2008 11:15:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Sorry ...I see you have mentioned the fuses

Bob

Bob Abell05/08/2008 11:18:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

The block connector sounds suspicious?

Why have you connected both batteries to it?

Bob

Paul T05/08/2008 11:30:00
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Dan

It sounds very much like a short through the motor casing.

Are the batteries getting warm?

Try using a volt meter to check how much current is being drawn.

Could you post a circuit diagram showing how you have connected everything and list the parts giving all of the separate ratings and specs so that we will be able to help you better.

Paul

Bob Abell05/08/2008 11:34:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Hello Paul..........How are you today?

Can you understand the block connector involvement?

All the best,,,........Bob

Fatcat05/08/2008 11:36:00
41 forum posts

Hi Bob

I havnt!  From the esc, theres a red and black wire. The black goes to neg battery and the red goes to a 30 amp fuse and then to the pos battery. There is also a blue and yellow wire, these go into a choc block and then into the corresponding motor wire. i.e yellow for pos and blue for neg. This is what i class as a circuit of which both motors are seperated on their own battery, esc, fuse and choc block.

The choc block is a new one as the previous sort of melted on me, (must have only been a 15amp baby), so i bought this new one i am using whish is rated at 30amp as per ESC and fuses. All well so far as there is no melting plastic.

It might have been from when i was running the motor and then the heat slowly comming out but i swore it was getting hotter when it was still. How hot should these motors get? When i first put her on the pond i was ragging the arse of it as the props i had arnt very good and it didnt go anywhere... of which they have been changed today and are 100 times better. After it had been on the pond, I  felt the motors and they were red hot, i couldnt touch them for more than a second.

Dan

Fatcat05/08/2008 11:39:00
41 forum posts

Paul, wiring as per above....

batteries are fine, infact i did check them to see if they were warm but they are fine. another thing is aswell that i do have some motor suppression resister things but havnt yet soldered them on as i'm just really fitting out the hull etc..

Dan

Bob Abell05/08/2008 11:41:00
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Hello Dan

Connectors shouldn`t melt?.............Suspicious still!

Have you overfilled the prop shafts with grease?

Bob

Fatcat05/08/2008 11:43:00
41 forum posts
Oh and the original purpose of the block connector was basically for future connectability i.e sound unit or something like that as they are connected to the ESC but at the moment, theres nothing connected apart from motor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor