By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

January 2020 issue: Test Bench Revell PT Boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Michaels21/12/2019 02:16:38
14 forum posts

In his review of the Revell 1/72 PT-579, the author wrote: “This rebox from Revell can trace its roots back to the early 1970s....”

That is incorrect. The author is mixing up the old and new Elco 80 foot PT boat kits. The new late war kit is not based on the old kit!

The original Revell PT-109 Kit was released in 1963. It has been in production ever since- you can still find it in shops. This kit is typical for the era, with various errors such as deck planking (the real boats had smooth decks) and limited detail. I built this kit about 7 years ago- it was awful. The molds seem like they are worn out- there was lots of flash and poorly molded parts.

Revell released an all new kit of the 80 footer in 2018, also marketed as PT-109. This is a much better kit. The new late war kit is based off this one, not the old dog from 1963! The initial release of the new PT-109 was overshadowed by Revell’s parent company’s bankruptcy- both happened in a January 2018. The new kit wasn’t well distributed, as a result- so many people don’t know it existed. ( Maybe that’s why the reviewer thought it was a derivative of the old kit?)

The release history of the two kits is documented on scalemates.com

Ray Wood 221/12/2019 13:49:39
1984 forum posts
708 photos

Hi All,

I find these kit reviews very good, as they give me ideas for bigger stuff to build, must be 500 kits up the loft I enjoy plastic kit building and they are good insulation for the roof, well that's how I describe it to my wife 😀

Regards Ray

Tony Hadley23/12/2019 16:43:06
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hi Ray,

I also like to give some model building time to plastics. I don't have a stash (for loft insulation), but like to buy to build with a couple of exceptions. The cargo liner Benledi is in storage, an old Revell kit, which dates from when Revell had a manufacturing plant in Great Britain. Not sure whether I will build or not, the old saying "when in doubt, do nowt" seems to apply.

My current plastics build is Revell's 1:90 'Nina' from the 1990s when Revell were in Illinois USA.

Pleased the new editor, Martyn has found space in the magazine for these (plastic) models.

benledi (1).jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor