Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 229/02/2020 20:55:44
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Rob

I have the plan & have cut out the templates for the bulkheads, it's On my list to build 😀

Regards Ray

Robert Smith 2329/02/2020 21:03:34
3 forum posts

Sounds good Ray

I have found the plan at Sarik and will get hold of it, I suspect it will be a while before I get around to the restoration as I am also trying to complete the restoration of a Sea Urchin Yacht that I built for my 'O' Levels back in 1970. Once the restoration is done I'll post a picture, at the moment it is a bit of a broken mess.

Rob

Michael Cole 701/03/2020 11:42:40
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi all,

It's surprising how the cost of things go up the plan cost me

10 shillings in old money many a year ago.

Kind regards

Michael.

Dave Milbourn01/03/2020 13:40:42
3995 forum posts
282 photos

I found this a while ago. Historic Inflation Calculator

You can begin to feel very old very quickly once you start to use it - but it's still a bit of fun! There are some anomolies, however e.g. 20 fags should cost £2.59 c/w over a tenner these days, and a pint of bitter just over a pound. Then there's petrol......and house prices..... crying

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 01/03/2020 13:44:27

Colin Bishop01/03/2020 18:41:26
4480 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

That reminds me that I was a cashier at the Midland Bank on decimal day in 1971. Oh what fun it was...

Colin

Michael Cole 701/08/2020 08:32:53
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Has anyone used this tissue on the hull. I bought this from The Range. Tried Cornwall boats for heavy weight tissue with out success. Can the community help?

img_20200731_133451.jpg

Ray Wood 201/08/2020 13:52:19
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Micheal,

Let us know if it works ? Normally a model aircraft material, try Sussex Model Centre, I have various grades of tissue and don't get On with the J P erkins tissue, proper Jap tissue is the best I find. If your stuff from the Range works, I'll be down to get some 😀👍

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 01/08/2020 13:53:24

Michael Cole 702/08/2020 09:24:16
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Ray,

I asked the question because I have been trying your method of wallpaper pasting the hull and then applying the above tissue with a brush laiden with paste. I am having to apply short strips along the hull, can't use one complete length without the tissue shredding.

I have read tissue is rated in GSM, there is no GSM for the above tissue. I have been able to locate 17gsm and 18gsm through my other half who has an interest in Create and Craft. When this arrives I will post my findings.

Kind regards

Mike

Chris Fellows02/08/2020 10:18:44
666 forum posts
378 photos

Mike

Rather than tissue many of us use lightweight cloth 34 gsm from Deluxe Materials for instance and resin, Eze-Kote water based in my case.

Advantage of using cloth is that the resin goes through the weave and sticks it to the hull. Whole sections can go on in one no problem.

If you take a look at my Fairey River Cruiser album there are photos showing where I am applying it to various parts of the boat.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 02/08/2020 10:34:26

Ray Wood 202/08/2020 12:42:29
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Chris/Mike,

I had assumed the tissue paper was going to be cellulose doped when the wallpaper paste had dried ?? I wouldn't use resin on tissue paper myself, tissue,dope & paint is old school traditional 😀👍👍

I do like the water based resin on glass cloth it saves A lot of messing about mixing epoxy.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor