Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 220/02/2020 21:25:49
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Micheal,

The best glue to use is Formula 560 canopy glue dries clear, superglue fogs the glazing,

Regarding drawing the planks, best before the sealer in my view.

Regards Rayhuntsman 2 jan 17 001.jpg

Dave Cooper 625/02/2020 15:37:04
163 forum posts
16 photos

Superglue certainly fogged one of my 'clearviews' and epoxy made the other one look like it had shipped some water.

Interesting effects if that's what you're after !

For the normal (cabin) acetate glazing I used Wilcos general purpose glue (which can be contact or 'contact-less' as per requirements). Probably best to go with Ray's suggestion though.

Dave

John W E26/02/2020 17:38:14
263 forum posts
257 photos

Hi there,

have you thought about using a CD case - the clear plastic ones. Just tried this idea myself on the windows of an MGB and what I was able to do was to glue rings cut from plastic tubing onto them. I used Tamiya extra thin cement to stick the rings onto the windows. I also used canopy glue to stick the actual windows to the inside of the superstructure. Up until now, they haven't fallen out and I haven't poked them out with my fingers. They seem to withstanding a bit of rough and tumble.

johndscn1073.jpg

Ray Wood 227/02/2020 20:00:59
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi John,

That's a very good looking gun boat 😀 yes the CD cases are great for glazing & flat windscreens that need some strength.Regards

What is the new hull in the background??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 27/02/2020 20:03:28

John W E28/02/2020 08:21:58
263 forum posts
257 photos

0024279_buoy-cat-mm728_300.jpgRay, the motor gun boat was a free plan in Model Boats mag way back - its been on the back burner to build for a long long time - and the model in the backgound is another old one - called the Buoy Cat designed by F.Body. At the moment I am setting up an Enya 19 inside - cos there are one or 2 lakes around here that allow us to run IC engines and we can get away with running IC engines if the model is a bit vintage.

john

Edited By John W E on 28/02/2020 08:35:24

Michael Cole 728/02/2020 11:28:49
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi all,

Thank you for your help with the glue and window materials. I never thought of cd cases or even plastic tubing for the windows. I am learning something new with your help.

Very grateful to you

Michael.

Ray Wood 228/02/2020 18:44:06
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi John,

Buoy Cat's a classic alright, I remember the dreams inspired by the MAP plans handbook designs during the 60's 😀

Maybe we should start a Vintage classics thread? Is your gun boat the Grey Goose ?

Best Regards Ray

Robert Smith 2328/02/2020 22:39:49
3 forum posts

Hi

Apologies for jumping in on this thread, I can't really help but I did build the Vosper RTTL 2754 back in the 1970's presumably from free plans in Model Boats Magazine. I recently found my model in the attic and in need of restoration, does anyone know where I can purchase the plans, I can't find them on Sarik?

Rob

Ray Wood 229/02/2020 07:15:38
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Robert,

MM530 , just googled £14.50 from Sarik, good luck with your restoration.

Regards Ray

Robert Smith 2329/02/2020 20:43:44
3 forum posts

Thanks Ray

I'll check that out.

Rob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor