Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Cole 719/01/2020 17:31:30
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Ray,

Your drawing looks different to mine, I think mine is older as the layout is slightly different.

Kind regards

Michael.

Edited By Michael Cole 7 on 19/01/2020 17:32:09

Michael Cole 721/01/2020 14:47:47
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi or Help,

Is there any difference between tissue paper and modelling tissue?

My rttl calls for heavy weight tissue or silk to be applied to the hull.

What is the opinion of the community with regard to the use of the above please?

Kind regards

Michael.

Michael Cole 721/01/2020 14:50:15
43 forum posts
9 photos

I should add that I have given the hull two coats of shellac sanding sealer.

Thanks

Michael.

ashley needham21/01/2020 15:21:45
6499 forum posts
224 photos

Michael. There is no single opinion regards hull finishing. There are loads of different methods, and to be honest all of them are valid.

As you have used sanding sealer (which can crack over time) then the easiest method might be tissue paper (heavyweight present wrapping tissue) and dope, or EzeKote. Better still, glass tissue or cloth. You can get really fine glass cloth, like silk. EzeKote is easy to use as water based, or some favour resin of some sort...Z-poxy is a favourite.

there is a forum post on hull finishing, and DM has written a very good expose on the subject. Look on right hand side column, scroll down to....Article database....hints and tips...wooden hull finishing.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 21/01/2020 15:25:13

Edited By ashley needham on 21/01/2020 15:27:36

Ray Wood 221/01/2020 15:46:45
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Micheal,

Heavy weight tissue is much more robust, I use wallpaper paste which can be brushed through the heavy weight tissue to keep it in place, and once dry a couple of coats of shrinking dope, then primer.

Having said that your plywood hull and hardwood bow blocks don't actually need the extra strength of glass cloth and epoxy resin, granted it doesn't add that much weight. I have 40 year old ply boats just painted and they are fine

Balsa and liteply is another thing and do benefit from glass cloth and resin to make them ding proof.

Regards Ray

Michael Cole 721/01/2020 18:27:57
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi both,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I appreciate your guidance.

Kind regards

Michael.

Michael Cole 722/01/2020 19:43:15
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Can someone tell me what width to allow for the deck planking on the rttl please.

I was thinking of 5 mm.

Kind regards

Michael.

Dave Cooper 623/01/2020 16:51:56
153 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Michael

I think mine varies at about 2-3mm depending on whether it's on a 'straight run' or a 'tapered' bit. That's at 1/48 scale (ish).

Are you at 1/2" to 1 foot (1/24) ? If so, I should think 5-7mm will look about right.

Dave

Michael Cole 723/01/2020 20:18:56
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Dave,

Yes you are right 1/2 to 1 foot.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Michael.

Michael Cole 724/01/2020 15:22:08
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Gunwales call for 3 X 1.5 mm ply could someone suggest an alternative please also should these be glued in place before applying tissue or can they be added after tissue.

Thank you

Michael.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor