Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Milbourn20/12/2019 17:10:07
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Is there any recommended reading on Radio Control please.

I wrote a piece for Model Boats magazine some time ago, entitled 'Radio GaGa'. Martyn Chorlton has a copy which he tells me will be included on this website. In the meantime if you would like a copy then please send me a Private Message with your regular E-Mail address and I'll see what I can do.

Dave Milbourn

Michael Cole 716/01/2020 08:38:02
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Can someone help me, I am having problems obtaining Rudders to match the drawing along with the propshafts for my Vosper rttl build. I appreciate any help the community can offer.

Kind regards

Michael.

Ray Wood 216/01/2020 08:52:12
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Micheal,

I think you will find the range of rudders & stern tubes distributed by J Perkins and sold in model shops will fit the bill, try Cornwall Model Boats, I think the medium size rudder would fit.

Regards Ray

Michael Cole 716/01/2020 18:56:51
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Ray,

How do I determine the length of stern tube, the drawing shows a prop of around 9 inch for use with a marine engine, no prop size for electric motors. There is also a support close to the propeller but no details of it's construction is this support necessary if so where could I obtain construction details.

Kind regards

Michael.

Edited By Michael Cole 7 on 16/01/2020 18:59:45

Ray Wood 216/01/2020 20:02:53
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Micheal,

Here is a mock up of your rttl over the drawing with a 4mm shaft 6mm OD 10" stern tube with an X35 prop, Huco coupling and 600 brushed motor. The rudder is the traced shape of the Perkins medium size. The bracket shown on the drawing is of the full-size boats shaft support, which you don't need but a little fillet between the keel and the tube will give it support.

Regards Ray

Sorry the photo's vertical my tablet had a funny turn 😀img_20200116_195141.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/01/2020 20:04:14

Michael Cole 717/01/2020 14:07:58
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the information. I would like to fit 2 props and 2 Rudders would I be right to duplicate the assembly you have shown.

Kind regards

Michael

Ray Wood 217/01/2020 15:06:55
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Micheal,

That option will be twice as good you may want to double the ply skin with a patch where the tubes go through the bottom of the hull, here's the same set-up on my Huntsman 31, which is 34" long. you could go brushless but I think it would make Mach 2 easily

Regards Rayh31 rudders & props.jpg

John W E17/01/2020 18:24:51
263 forum posts
257 photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNveRCGPMCw

Hi ya Michael

it is good practice to reinforce where the prop tubes go through the skin of the hull. I have put a photograph on of how I did this on the RTTL which I myself built.

just out of curiosity, is it not worth sticking to one prop shaft through the keel - this would make life a lot easier for you as you will only have one motor and coupling to line up - whereas if you have 2 prop shafts and motors - you then have to ensure that both prop shafts line up on the outside of the hull of equal distance from the hull skin - and - also that the 2 prop shafts are parallel to the keel. Just food for thought before diving in

Also, if you require the correct shaped rudder as is on the plan - one of the ways I have done it in the past is purchase a rudder from 'off the shelf model shop' and cut it and file it to the shape required.

If I can, I will try and put a link on of when I ran my RTTL on the local lake last summer.

John004 [800x600].jpg

Edited By John W E on 17/01/2020 18:25:29

Michael Cole 717/01/2020 19:49:28
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Ray and John,

Thank you for the information and photos.

The drawing I am working to requires the stern to have additional 3/4 X1/8 inch strips running through two compartments for twin Rudders. I think stern tubes will pass through these as there is mention of using twin props as an alternative to a single prop.

The thickness becomes 3/16 inch in old money.

Kind regards

Michael.

Michael Cole 717/01/2020 20:26:57
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Correction to the above the 3/4 inch should read 1/2 X 1/8 inch running from bulkhead B4 through to B6 on the drawing.

The overall thickness is still 3/16 inch.

Michael.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor