Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Cole 718/12/2019 16:12:46
43 forum posts
9 photos

I think I should have asked the forum before carving and fitting the bow blocks. The blocks are carved from solid wood not balsa.

img_20191215_143810.jpg

Michael Cole 718/12/2019 16:28:25
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi, here is another photo of the hull.

img_20191218_090259.jpg

Chris Fellows18/12/2019 17:57:55
666 forum posts
378 photos

The bow blocks don't look too big so shouldn't be too heavy.

As Ray says, you will need to use some P38 to build up the difference in level between the blocks and the skins.

Chris

Ray Wood 218/12/2019 18:11:08
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Mike,

The 1.5mm ply is a devil to bend and harks back to the days of diesel and glo engines which needs to be really strong so you didn't pull the engine out with the starting cord. I assume your going for electric power?

To be fair the drawing doesn't talk about balsa bow blocks so you have done well, keep the photos of you progress.

Another photo of the bow sheeting maybe useful

Regards Ray

Michael Cole 718/12/2019 19:50:04
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi all,

I have P38 as it happens left over from my kit car build.

I will upload more photos of the Vosper as I progress.

I am thinking of 2 electric motors once I know what's involved with Radio Control.

Kind regards

Mike.

Edited By Michael Cole 7 on 18/12/2019 19:52:04

Edited By Michael Cole 7 on 18/12/2019 19:58:14

Ray Wood 218/12/2019 21:40:13
1918 forum posts
686 photos

Hi Mike,

Great keep us posted, it's a classic Vic Sneed design with so much detail to replicate 😀

Regards Ray

John W E19/12/2019 14:14:55
263 forum posts
257 photos

dscn0918.jpghi ya Michael

you are building a classic here and by the look of it you are building straight from the plans - I built a variation of this model many moons ago - using Vic Smeed's plan as a basis, which I made some subtle changes to the chine line. The other way I went - I double planked it - obechi on the inside and mahogany on the outside. I ran it on 2 x 600 Mtroniks - the power comes from 2 x 7.2s 4000 mAmps NiCad batteries. There used to be a full write up of the build but when Mayhem crashed 95% of the build of my model was lost. What I have done is assemble what I have left of photographs of the build and put them in an Album under the RTTL.

John

Edited By John W E on 19/12/2019 14:15:44

Michael Cole 719/12/2019 21:39:39
43 forum posts
9 photos

Hi John,

What a great looking Vosper. A fine job indeed.

Yes I am building from the Vic Sneed plan 1/2 inch to 1 foot,

34 inch length.

I haven't decided on radio control not knowing anything about the subject. Can I fix the deck in the meantime allowing access as per the plan.

Is there any recommended reading on Radio Control please.

Kind regards

Mike.

Dave Cooper 620/12/2019 10:56:55
153 forum posts
14 photos

Mike

If you want to delve into the 'technicalities' of Radio Control, I can recommend :

"Theory and Practice of Model Radio Control" by Paul Newell - it's out-of-print now but I got a used copy off Amazon.

However, with modern 2.4 GHz kit, you can take the 'black box' approach....ie the Transmitter (you) sends a signal to the Receiver (boat) and this, in turn will move a Servo connected to the rudder(s). To control the throttle, you use another servo if the boat is powered by an IC engine, or, an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) if powered by electric motor(s)...

Thus, it really becomes a matter of how to install and test it all in the boat. Here, I would recommend joining a model boat club as they will advise you on how best to do it on Your boat. There are many detail items to consider that probably won't be covered in any book.

Hope this helps,

Dave

John W E20/12/2019 16:45:43
263 forum posts
257 photos

Hi ya there Mike

As far as access to the hull - on the plan, the main superstructure lifts off and also the roof of the engine casing. On the model which I built, I also opened up the large hatch just behind the main superstructure and also the towing cabin at the back - which lifts out as a unit -This gives you ample access to the internals of the hull.

here is a photograph of the areas of access on the hull which I made.

john005 [800x600].jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor