Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vosper rttl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Cole 713/12/2019 11:35:18
33 forum posts
5 photos

Hello,

I am building a Vosper rttl 2754 could someone help me with the bow shape, the drawing shows the bow made up of laminated blocks I have carved the bow blocks and I need to know if I skin over the blocks or butt up to the blocks.

I am new to the forum and would appreciate the help.

Kind regards

Mike.

Ray Wood 213/12/2019 13:29:00
1847 forum posts
663 photos

sh wd sq oct 16 006.jpgHi Mike,

Welcome to the forum, I assume your using Vic Smeeds plans?

If so I would recommend applying the bottom ply skins first , then either laminate with balsa sheet or block the bow this allows you to carve the blocks slightly concave to create a flaired shape which couldn't be achieved with the ply to the stem.

I've had the plan for years, but haven't got round to building it yet 😀

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 13/12/2019 13:38:11

Michael Cole 713/12/2019 14:12:34
33 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the welcome.

I had already glued the bow blocks in place thinking that was the thing to do. I initially thought gluing the blocks was the way to proceed and then skin. There is quite a bit to do and no doubt I will need more help as I progress.

Kind regards

Mike.

Ray Wood 213/12/2019 14:54:31
1847 forum posts
663 photos

Hi Mike,

If you have sanded the block down to the bulkhead, never fear P38 body filler is every boat builders friend 😀 and much easier to finish than block.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 13/12/2019 14:58:01

Tony Hadley13/12/2019 19:44:27
895 forum posts
536 photos

Michael,

I've just posted the original December 1958 magazine item on the Vic Smeed Vosper RTTL. It is in the thread 'Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs'. There really isn't a great lot of information about building the model, as was the case with many of these older designs.

Good luck with the build,

Tony

Michael Cole 714/12/2019 17:53:16
33 forum posts
5 photos

Hi,

Thank you Tony and Ray. I have had read through your list Tony quite a bit of work there.

Kind regards

Mike.

Dave Cooper 615/12/2019 20:16:11
147 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Mike

If you "PM" me I'll send you some photos of how I did mine.

The bow was done by carving /sanding away at solid blocks, however, this then blends into a stepped bottom which you haven't got - still it should provide some shots of the bow 'undercut' etc. for the shape up to the step. The shots are with the bows still in primer.

Shortly, I'll be posting some images of the finished boat - just got to mount the gun turret and tidy up a switch harness.

Regards,

Dave

Ray Wood 215/12/2019 21:58:07
1847 forum posts
663 photos

Hi Micheal,

If you post some photos of your progress we would be able to see how your doing, the best guide would be photos of the fullsize boats to achieve the correct shape 😀

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 616/12/2019 10:52:16
147 forum posts
14 photos

Mike - follow Ray's suggestion. He's got much more experience than me.

I've got some card templates for the bow which I can let you have plus some 'http: links' for a full-size boat under restoration plus one in the water. I'll need to dig them out next time I go into the workshop...

What scale are you working to ? My templates are 1/43 but if you have access to a photocopier you can scale up as required. I notice that quite a lot of the RTTL / ASR plans are around 1" to 1 foot (ie 1/12).

Regards,

Dave

Dave Cooper 616/12/2019 12:35:33
147 forum posts
14 photos

Mike

Have now found the two images I used :

1. flikr.com/photos/67307569@N00/2628755340 ("RAF Launch and Pinnace"

2. Google : "RAF Launch 2767-01" (My link for this one is incomplete unfortunately) dated 18/03/2009.

Good luck with the search - some old links get 'broken' over time !

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor