Avenger Too

Potential project for new year

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dean Pritchard 103/12/2019 00:31:38
25 forum posts
6 photos

20141016074935-8b1810ed-me.jpgHi

have been looking into this classic Don Shead design for a long while, and would love to build her. However, info on dimensions is hard to source. I would probably like her in 1/8 th scale- any thoughts? Ionly have a few photos to go on at the moment!

Dean

Edited By Dean Pritchard 1 on 03/12/2019 00:33:03

Tim Rowe03/12/2019 14:39:15
572 forum posts
577 photos

Hello Dean

Avenger Too was quite a famous boat as you probably know, winning a Round Great Britain race at an average of over 37 knots helmed by Timo Makkinen.

The dimension would have been about 40 - 42' long with a beam of around 11'. Don Shead boats were mainly built in aluminium and had a characteristically deep V in the hull carried quite well aft. You could extrapolate the shape from various photos that are published on the web from a number of different angles.

You have chosen a tricky one to model if you want it working as it was powered by Mercury outboards. That will be fun!

I am not an expert in scales but wouldn't 1/8 scale make your model about 5" long? That would be fun also!!

Tim R

Ray Wood 203/12/2019 19:19:44
2838 forum posts
988 photos

Hi Dean,

Certainly a classic boat ,best of luck with your search, the model could have dummy outboards which move and have rudder blades on for steering and a conventional single propellor, this is the approach I'm thinking about for a Cigarette power boat with twin Mercruiser outdrives for scale effect, model outboards are comparatively expensive.

Looks like 3 - 150hp  Mercury's on the back of Avenger Too !!!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/12/2019 19:21:56

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/12/2019 19:22:40

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/12/2019 19:31:57

Dean Pritchard 103/12/2019 23:16:47
25 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Ray

i have sourced the outboard motors- they are 127mm x 70mm. I could mount 3 of them together. Perhaps 1 or 2 screw. Will still have to fiddle with dimensions and hull shape. I don’t think any line drawings survive, as Avenger Racing wound up long ago. I believe Don Shead is still alive, but I wouldn’t know if he has any information available.

Perhaps twin 32mm screws linked to 2,Hydra 30’s?

ill let you know what happens!
Dean

ashley needham04/12/2019 09:08:53
7637 forum posts
159 photos

Something to think about is the weight of 2 or 3outboards hanging way back past the stern...

Rays inboard motor/dummy outboard solution is very effective, and keeps the weight central/forward and not right aft?

Ashley

Dean Pritchard 104/12/2019 09:49:46
25 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Ashley

Yes I had thought of that- the outboards I found are dummies, but you can clip them together and steer them if required. My plan is to put 2 30mm props in, and 2 racing rudders.

My problem at the moment, is how to extrapolate her shape, from the photographs. There are no line drawings available, and I don’t have access to a CAD package. Avenger Racing wound up many years ago, so I cannot contact them.

Thanks for your input!

Dean

Dean Pritchard 105/12/2019 19:49:40
25 forum posts
6 photos

Hi

Re dimensions- she doesn’t look 40 feet long!

cant find any more info or drawings though, and would struggle doing my own!

Dean

Ray Wood 205/12/2019 20:01:01
2838 forum posts
988 photos

Hi Dean,

My guess would be 28 feet?? Can you find a picture with somebody standing on her as a scale reference?

I'm just starting the drawing for a 36 ft Cigarette around 26" for an old brushed 600

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows05/12/2019 22:27:44
1196 forum posts
752 photos

I agree with you Ray. It was an OPII class racing boat with the upper limit being 28 feet which Avenger Too was close to. For the 1969 Round Britain Race it had a total power of 375 hp so 125 per engine.

Dean - I produced the drawings for my Fairey River Cruiser from a photograph though I did use a drawing program. You can do it by hand though. Assuming it is 28 feet long you pro-rata (or enlarge it on a photo-copier) the various elements along the hull and cockpit so that they can be drawn out and then add the vertical dimensions from what looks right or as Ray says relating to something of a known size. For the hull design you will have to look at comparable designs.

The size of the outboards you already have will determine the scale. 

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 05/12/2019 22:36:44

Dean Pritchard 105/12/2019 23:29:31
25 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Chris

I‘ll have to try and source another hull design!

Dean

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor