Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Railway Ferry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F04/11/2019 22:41:45
51 forum posts
67 photos

So a while ago I had this daft idea of building a train ferry. Logical because I like trains and I like boats....

My original idea was something like this:island-conveyor.jpg

and this is what I have several months down the line.

20191103_2.jpg

20191103_3.jpg

It's purely freelance and I've no idea if it's even viable as a boat but I've enjoyed building it so far.

BTW. It's just under a metre in length and it's 1/87 scale(ish) so that I could take full advantage of HO scale model railway accessories - cheap off Ebay. It seems no-one in UK is really interested in HO.

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 04/11/2019 22:44:21

ashley needham05/11/2019 08:15:15
6666 forum posts
160 photos

Like that Andrew. Is it actually Paddle powered? AND have you had it on the pond yet!

for added oomph you could even have the trains moving on their own!

Oddly enough I have been adding to my O Guate train collection lately and was wondering about putting a bit of track and a couple of locos On a landing craft, but the various lengths don’t work out. Looking at yours however might tempt me to knock something up....

Ashley

Bob Abell05/11/2019 12:49:59
8925 forum posts
2814 photos

Nice one, Andrew.......I like it too

Very nicely made

I also like Paddle boats and Loco's

Bob

Ray Wood 205/11/2019 15:14:10
2047 forum posts
720 photos

Hi Andrew,

Yes as Bob Says great looking ferry boat 😀 HO has always been the European scale for 16.5 mmm track gauge I remember Playcraft being popular in the 60's just that bit smaller than Hornby OO at 4mm to the foot. Who will be first with a ferry for N gauge stock ? Always fancied a cross channel British Railways ferry complete with Golden Arrow 😃

Regards Ray (Dreaming again)

Dave Milbourn05/11/2019 15:39:46
4011 forum posts
282 photos

I'm pretty sure that one of the Wicksteed Park MBC members built a WW1 rail ferry not that many years ago. It may have been Nick Brown's Dad. It could be worth a look at Mayhem if rails float your boats...

Dave M (Apologies for any failing memory!)

Colin Bishop05/11/2019 16:24:46
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

There are two WW1 military rail ferries around. One was indeed built by Nick Brown's Dad and I saw it at Wicksteed and Warwick. The other, Admiralty Train Ferry No. 3, appeared on the Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team stand at the Midhurst Modelling show and is pictured below.

Colin

train ferry no 3 pmbdt.jpg

Andy F05/11/2019 22:24:02
51 forum posts
67 photos
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 05/11/2019 15:14:10:

...Who will be first with a ferry for N gauge stock ?

Truth be told, N gauge was my first choice as it is my preference with railways and I have lots of N gauge stock to mess about with but I went with HO because I figured N would either be too small to be taken seriously or too big and I would be tempet to make it overcomplicated. Also, for some inexplicable reason N scale bits and pieces are ridiculously expensive.

Example: The four carriages on board cost me £20 off Ebay. The equivalent in N would probably have cost in the region of £100.Figures:A decent set of 4 or 5 painted figures ranges between a fiver and £20 depending on 'quality' or subject matter.

It seems to be a sellers market for such things.

That said, I may do an N gauge one next. I was looking for a new project anyway. Good call.

Tim Cooper06/11/2019 09:06:23
376 forum posts
164 photos

Andrew

I notice that your model uses the Airfix / Dapol range of 1/72 figures. I remember painting a lot of them when I had a railway in the loft.

I know when I sold most of the railway stuff off a few years ago the painted figures and buildings were very easy to sell on line.

Tim

Andy F27/11/2019 22:48:28
51 forum posts
67 photos

So HMS Block of Flats is now officially on a back burner. I have a more exciting project to work on.

Someone mentioned a N gauge railway ferry? Well here it is (so far)

Closely based on this:

watercolour2.jpg

This is what I have so far:

20191127_1.jpg

20191127_2.jpg

It's been fun designing all the various parts, cutting them from 20 thou styrene then assembling them. This is about a weeks work using nothing more than a few photos and this plan.

plans.jpg

When finished, the boat will be loaded with 6 DB/CIWL carriages depicting the fictitious vessel Fehmarn operating the Germany-Denmark crossing out of Travemunde on the Baltic coast.

ashley needham28/11/2019 08:35:42
6666 forum posts
160 photos

Andrew. That’s impressive work, especially at that size!

All this railway talk is making me add a train ferry to the list. Would go for 0 gauge as it more seeable on the water and I have loads of it (but not much ho/o).

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor