By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Props

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fatcat31/07/2008 10:42:00
41 forum posts

Hi, Feel really daft leaving this message on here but i'm a bit bamboozeled!

Finally got all the running gear into the trent with motors and everything else and took it onto the pond for a test run. All is fine with motors and esc's etc but the thing just barely moves forward when on full power. Full power in reverse however is imense, i just dont understand it?!?!?!

You may be thinking that the props are the wrong way, well i have installed them as they arrived and tried different combinations with the side and direction of the props. After studying the props it seems that they would only ever work to their best in reverse with the way that they are shaped.

I have round some other 60mm 4 bladed brass from cornwall model boats, do you think i should just change them or does anybody have any suggestions on the supplied props?

Dan

Seaspray03/08/2008 21:51:00
47 forum posts
1 photos

Try and find the actual problem first  it may be on going even with the new props.

Do you have set up your ESC for forward and reverse on the Tx stick (if required).

Is there a R and L  prop and are they turning in the right directions. (Contra rotating)  or do they turn the same way ?

Is the leading edge of the prop on the blade facing the bow of the boat ? . This direction    / not this \

Martin

JC Uknz04/08/2008 06:12:00
141 forum posts
11 photos

If the props are made of brass, as opposed to plastic, you might be able to tweak them with a gentle twist with a pair of pliers ..... although it isn't "right" I like Seaspray's suggestion of altering the polarity setting on the transmitter .... I think I would do that before buying more

I cannot see that the pitch of the prop is the problem though becuase in my experience props more or less work the same in both directions.   I wonder if there is something wrong in the setting of your speed controller which you do not mention what you are using.  I sometimes play with the trim knob settings of my transmitter to shift the balance of control ... that is the little knob beside the lever on my Futabi equipment.

neil howard-pritchard04/08/2008 19:13:00
1520 forum posts
871 photos

I think this is , as seaspray says the proportional set up on your speed controllers. Some have very little control on reverse, whereas they have bags of punch going forward.

It might be that you have polorised the leads to the motors from the speed controllers so that you have them going full stick in reverse, but without looking at it, it might be a case of trial and error in switching the motor leads around.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T SWITCH THE POS AND NEG LEADS TO THE BATTERIES AS YOU WILL COOK THE ESC.

If there is a cenrallising and polorising switch on your ESC have a go with that also. 

Fatcat05/08/2008 07:25:00
41 forum posts

Hi guys, thanks for you replies.

I'm using electronize fr30hx ESC's, power is the same in forward of reverse. the props from what i can see spin outwards away from each other, again i have tried all sorts of combinations but still problem exists. I have been told that the props i have been supplied with are not the best and therefore i have decided to buy others. they should be arriving with postman pat this morning so will let you know when i have got them on and have filled the bath up

thanks again

Dan

Seaspray05/08/2008 07:26:00
47 forum posts
1 photos

I've had a look at your kit and see that you have the props included as part of the fittings.  So you should have the correct props.. Check the build manual to see the fitting of these props  are correct.

Try servo reversing on the speed stick its a little switch somewhere on the Tx. see your radio manual.

Martin

Charles Oates05/08/2008 08:42:00
573 forum posts
46 photos

you could also try removing one prop or diconecting one motor and trying again. doing this with each motor in turn will point to any problems with props not rotating corectly with respect to each other.

chas

JC Uknz05/08/2008 20:32:00
141 forum posts
11 photos

If you are provided with two props with opposite aspects does it matter which way you use them ... matter to any great degree .. I would think it  would affect steering rather than propultion? ... and then only if you had a pair with the same aspect in error.  The reversing of the polarity at the transmitter, if it reverses the effect you are trying to get rid of, should eliminate the props being your problem.

In any fault finding exercise one should only change one thing at a time and as you progress through various options you return changes to their original position before changing something else. ... there is a great temptation to change more than one thing at a time

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor