Forum sponsored by Dremel

RAF Launch accessories

Wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 612/03/2020 15:34:52
309 forum posts
32 photos

Ready for sea trials : I think the ensign is a little small and the splinter mats need a bit more work...?

ready for sea trials.jpg

ashley needham12/03/2020 17:52:33
7353 forum posts
156 photos

How about putting that flag at the stern and having something larger on the mast?

I think that the splinter mats are an item that needs “artistic licence” to look right, and that ends up being a personal taste thing.

Personally I would paint them a bit “brighter” than they are. NOT because they are the wrong colour, but just to add a bit of colour to an otherwise grey/grey top. By brighter I just mean perhaps a more brown, or green/khaki hue? And perhaps soften the edges to get them slightly less square.

As I said, just a personal taste thing.

Ashley

Dave Cooper 612/03/2020 20:38:41
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Ashley

Yes, the flag is actually 20mm long even though we specified 30mm in the printer settings - it must have been having an off-day ! I agree, it would look better on the stern jack staff with a bigger one on the main mast - either 30mm or 40mm, I'll try both.

Splinter mats - they did have roughed up edges although this doesn't seem to show up in the photos. I'll try your colour suggestions though as they do seem a bit 'drab'. I think in real life they were fabric (canvas ?) covered. So, I'll try and get a fold or two into them.

Just need some good weather now to give it a run !

Dave

ashley needham13/03/2020 07:29:04
7353 forum posts
156 photos

Dave. Colours on models need to be adjusted sometimes to achieve the right result.

Case in point was painting the deck of my 48 inch Titanic. I ended up with Humbrol pale stone colour (from memory) as this was the consensus of opinion on ‘t net, but smaller models or larger models might need a different colour. Imagine a 1/600 model with a very pale deck, it would look almost white.

I once read an article on painting models by a chap in an old boat mag, he had made a Dreadnought, or something similar, and painted it correctly....all dark grey. The result was that a lot of the detail disappeared as it blended in, and the boat looked very dull, and this was on a big 6 foot model.

Flags, go for it. Biggish “battle” ensign on the main mast to add a bit of pazazz to the deck and a splash of colour.

Ashley.

redpmg13/03/2020 08:11:49
177 forum posts
17 photos

Bear in mind colours on a model need to be lighter than on the real thing.

Its to do with distance and scale effect.

When you look at mountains in the distance they turn pale blue...............No matter what their real colour. is

When you see a model at 1/72nd scale at 1ft its like looking at the real thing at 72 ft

Same with a 1/35 scale at 1ft its like the real thing at 35 ft

So a 1/35 scale model at 10ft is like the real thing at  350ft

and so on ...............

Colours fade over distance - as most professional artists know.

Edited By redpmg on 13/03/2020 08:21:19

Dave Cooper 613/03/2020 17:12:11
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hmmm, interesting. My boat is approx. 1/48 scale (although I would only call it 'fun scale' !).

As an amateur artist, I do understand about "recession" and often use it in my paintings /model railway dioramas etc.

Am now wondering if my hull is too black /red ? I think the acid test will be what does it look like on the water....

Hopefully, we'll know the answer to that soon.

Dave

ashley needham14/03/2020 07:25:59
7353 forum posts
156 photos

I think the main colours..hull, top, antifoul..can be as they are, it is the accessories including deck that might need adjusting. On yours, the adjustments I would carry out really concern maximising interest.

On the boat stand you still have to have a shiny black hull for instance.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is your boat.

Ashley

redpmg14/03/2020 14:33:41
177 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Dave - was not a comment on your boat - my avatar is painted +- real colour - but I would never change it . As Ashley says its your boat - arose more from Ashley's comment re the accessories .

Ray Wood 214/03/2020 19:20:49
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave,

We are all waiting for some decent weather to get back on the water 😀

Have you decided on your next boat build? Sometimes it's easier with a published plan there are many in the SARIK range.

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 614/03/2020 21:11:23
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Ray - I think it'll probably be a sailing yacht like "Ardent" (from the Sarik plan), but, with vane steering, RC and 'Arduino' like we discussed on the other thread.

Problem is I've just got too many hobbies /projects ! eg Model Railways (mainly winter), Gliding (mainly summer) - full-size and RC. I'm also designing and building a Le-Mans style sports car for sprint and hill-climb events. Oh yes, did I mention art, drumming and playing guitar ? Not really any good at these but it's part of my 'recuperation' from a mental illness some years ago...

The Arduino thing is just a starter kit now. I'll try and get the gun turret rotating randomly as a 'toe-in-the-water'. Forgot to mention I'm 18 chapters into my first novel "The Adventures of a Glider Pilot" and, I need to fit in a bit of sleep here and there.....never bored though !

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor