Forum sponsored by Dremel

RAF Launch accessories

Wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham17/02/2020 18:11:21
7353 forum posts
156 photos

Very difficult to make flags this small from material, and likely not worth the effort. They will not `flap` due to the small size in any case, and bleed-through is a nightmare . Paper is effective, cut so the flag appears to be drooping a touch and curled a bit.

However it is difficult not to agree with Colin....

Ashley

Dave Cooper 618/02/2020 10:50:15
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hmm, yes - might try a paper one first. If that doesn't work Colin's solution wins !

Dave

Dave Cooper 621/02/2020 21:51:31
309 forum posts
32 photos

Splinter mats and searchlight now made and mounted. (I can only award myself 7 out of 10 for these but they may improve with better painting).

My wife has kindly offered to print an RAF ensign for me so, more photos to follow when this is run up the mast !

Dave

Dave Cooper 623/02/2020 20:03:41
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hi All - a quick question on buoyancy:

Is it worth fitting internal buoyancy in some form to my RAF launch - Length 16", beam 6.5" (Balsa /Liteply construction) ?

As you can imagine, space inside the hull is tight - but there is the odd void here and there. The deck to superstructure has a 10mm high 'wall' and is a tight fit to help keep any water out. The area at the base of the gun turret is also a snug fit.

So I guess I'm looking at a full hull inversion situation at worst ?? If I do need to fit something what should it be - expanded polystyrene foam /blue foam or something else carved to fit into small spaces...

There is a sort of double-hull 'up front' between the bow sheeting and the step sheeting.

Dave

ashley needham23/02/2020 20:38:16
7353 forum posts
156 photos

Dave. Odds on it will float,or at least, not completely sink. Sufficient for a rescue.

Wedging some foam in areas not full of “stuff” might help to delay sinking. If it turns upside down you will be ok as long as the hull does not let the air escape and the water in (the floating bit).

Filling all areas NOT full of “stuff” runs the risk of trapping moisture and leading to long term issues.

Seriously, I would not worry about it....

Ashley

Ray Wood 223/02/2020 21:12:47
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave,

Go slowly to see how it performs, if one of my boats sank I'd be pleased to see the back of it 😀😀

Good luck & don't forget your Speedo's

Ray

Colin Bishop23/02/2020 23:00:54
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

I would recommend that you fit a mechanical fixing between the cabin and the hull and not depend on just a tight fit. You would be surprised how easy it is for the top to come off when the model is flung about in rough conditions or if it hits something. I have seen this happen on a number of occasions, usually resulting in a sinking.

A good option is to drill a hole through the lower side of the cabin and through the hull coaming behind and then just make up a metal pin which can be easily inserted and removed but which will lock the cabin to the hull. One each side is enough.

Colin

Dave Cooper 624/02/2020 11:28:46
309 forum posts
32 photos

Thanks all,

I have the cabin secured to the hull via a bent wire hook over a cross-beam inside the cabin sides. There are then two elastic bands going from the hook to two further hooks mounted on the hull sides. Looked at from the bows, this forms an inverted 'V' shape and is quite secure and takes just a few seconds to fit.

The (rotating) gun turret base could leak in an 'upside down' - I think I'll just seal this off with Vaseline for now and give it a go. Just need some good weather for initial trials !

Dave

Colin Bishop24/02/2020 12:22:23
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

That all sounds good.

Colin

Dave Cooper 629/02/2020 10:51:52
309 forum posts
32 photos

Just about to run the RAF ensign up the main mast. This is the last planned accessory for now until proper water trials begin.

Will also water test the cabin glazing for leaks in case of an 'upside down' first time out.

Photos to follow. If the water trials are OK, will next motorise the gun turret for rotation. This will need some Arduino input to generate random numbers for motor on /delay etc. (Have to get my head around programming in 'C' to do this !).

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor