Wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 616/01/2020 20:25:13
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hi All

A few final items needed to finish the RAF launch :

1. 2 x Kent "Clear View" discs for the front wheelhouse 'windows'. (7-10mm diam.)

2. The 'anti-attack' padding for the wheelhouse lower half.

3. Either a radar reflector, or, a scanner dish for the main mast.

All the above at 1/48 scale. If you have anything surplus to requirements or, know of a supplier I'd be much obliged...

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Cooper 621/01/2020 11:59:55
309 forum posts
32 photos

I think I've worked out how to make the Clear Views and the AA Padding (at least I think that is what it is !).

But, if anyone has an idea /drawing etc of the radar side I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Cooper 630/01/2020 10:37:15
309 forum posts
32 photos

Just made the first "clear view" for the wheelhouse. Second one today and fitting tomorrow...

I've found a small picture of a radar reflector (MM RAF Range Safety Launch - Vic Smeed ?) which I'll use as a guide for making a mast-mounted one. I don't think they had rotating scanners on the HSL's in WW2 ?

Hopefully, photos to follow soon for your critique.

Dave

ashley needham30/01/2020 19:03:38
7353 forum posts
156 photos

Dave. Coming on.

Re the light bulb. Years ago I was contemplating a rescue launch and saw 5hat the bulbs were about right, but sadly that was as far as I got.

Clear view discs (obviously you have them now) I would use a punch set and something thin and clear that would stand a bit of bashing!

AA padding..I have used air hardening clay for this, artfully sculpted, and also something like hessian (sacking) can look good folded to suit, glued and roped up with cord of some sort.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 30/01/2020 19:04:37

Ray Wood 230/01/2020 19:26:17
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi all,

Here is the clear view screen on Silver Mist , a second disc of acetate with a 1/32" brass rivet in the centre with a small rubber band from the motor drive.@ 1-24th scale 😀

regards Ray200218 003.jpg

Dave Cooper 631/01/2020 15:37:05
309 forum posts
32 photos

Thanks both:

Ashley - Yes the light bulb was a fight (wrecked the first one !), had to do a bit of surgery on the gunner's right arm to get him in, then 'ship-in-a-bottle' stuff...unfortunately, got some cyano inside the glass, so when Mk 3 is made (if ever), I'll anticipate this when making the motorised version.

Thanks for the tip on the AA padding, I was going to use soft balsa and hack it about, but your idea sounds better. May use balsa first anyway just to get a feel for thicknesses etc.

Ray - Your 'clearview' looks better than mine. As above, got cyano inside one (will I ever learn !), but used epoxy on the port side. I rough-sawed a piece of 2.5 mm acrylic sheet, tidied it up on the bench grinder and then put it into the Dremel to turn down to size after drilling a 2mm hole through the centre. It's probably over-scale but seems to look ok. I used a small nail head for the centre 'pivot'.

'Sea trials' start soon. Radar reflector is setting on the bench - should be finished this week end with luck. Then we'll see if the step in the hull works. Ashley has his doubts (so do I !)...

Dave

ashley needham01/02/2020 09:39:56
7353 forum posts
156 photos

0f2db040-966e-445e-ac7b-d5bb059e79f7.jpegHacking about soft balsa is a no-no as far as I would be concerned due to the difficulty of filling the grain afterwards prior to painting. I realise a slightly rough texture is required, but...

Roll out a thin square (or woteva) of Clay and you can spend ages fiddling with it to get the right look, can texture it up when happy with a stiff brush, and hey presto!

The hessian can be laid in ‘mats’ or scrunched up a bit using thread poked through with a needle. Attached snap of landing craft.note that no attempt to Be artistic has been used in this application, I just folded it and glued it on. It gives you an idea of the sort of effect you could create?

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 01/02/2020 09:45:55

Edited By ashley needham on 01/02/2020 09:47:11

Dave Cooper 601/02/2020 14:19:59
309 forum posts
32 photos

Ashley

The ones in my documentation are a grey rectangular sort of padding (bit like a mattress /giant pillow), with a 'hot-cross bun' pattern on the front face. Maybe they aren't A-A but some sort of flotation device ?

They look to be canvass covered and are usually arranged just under and around the wheelhouse /gunner /sickbay areas...

I'll see if I can locate a photo or two.

Dave

Dave Cooper 601/02/2020 16:25:18
309 forum posts
32 photos

airfix-raf-air-sea-rescue-launch-1.72.jpg

Dave Cooper 601/02/2020 16:32:16
309 forum posts
32 photos

Ashley

I think you can see them under the wheelhouse windows and just behind the forward deck lockers in the above Airfix box art...

That reminds me, I probably need to make a search light as well !

Regards,

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor