Wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 609/09/2019 19:37:46
129 forum posts
14 photos

Hi All

Needed to complete my deck work and rigging :-

1. Gun turret for twin Bofors (I believe Frazer-Nash may have supplied the full-size originals ?).

2. Radar scanner or reflector (mast mounted). Scanner would operate via a mobile phone 'trembler' motor + gears.

I have some 1/48 German airmen figures from Revell and this scale looks about right.

Also, an old 12v car stop /tail bulb looks right, but, trying to get the gun barrels in without shattering the glass is proving problematical. Could drill out the base and fill the bulb with something clear to support the glass before drilling /filing...

Any ideas welcome

Dave

Dave Cooper 611/09/2019 09:53:40
129 forum posts
14 photos

I think I've worked out a way of doing it using another stop /tail bulb.

Need to paint up a 'gunner' to go inside first (ship-in-a-bottle tricks?).

I'll post up some pic's in due course as things proceed - assuming a degree of success !

Dave

Chris Fellows12/09/2019 17:21:43
619 forum posts
355 photos

Was it a light bulb moment!

Chris

Dave Cooper 612/09/2019 22:19:55
129 forum posts
14 photos

It was indeed Chris. After painting the hull white waterline today, I plucked up courage to tackle another bulb. (First one went 'ping'.

Finished painting the gunner (he needed to look more 'RAF' and less German). Much work on the bench grinder got me through the brass base, but, alas his arms are too splayed at the elbows - may need a bit of surgery there to fit him inside.

Found some documentation on the original Type 2 turrets (Armstrong-Whitworth), so, am now convinced the overall shape is right. Decided not to drill /file through for the gun barrels but cyano (industrial strength) them on from outside. The gunner will then have to 'carry' the rest of the guns with him when he finally goes inside the turret.

At 1/48th scale the turret might rotate but will not be powered....(not until I get up to speed with Arduino anyway !)

Pic's soon,

Dave

Dave Cooper 613/09/2019 10:25:31
129 forum posts
14 photos

existing turret.jpg Ugh...turret as it is now. Has resisted all attempts to clean up and polish to date ! Gun barrels are re-useable I think.

gunner & new turret.jpg Gunner and his new home to be. Bulb vacuum has been released but light filaments are still intact !

Dave Cooper 613/09/2019 10:29:34
129 forum posts
14 photos

Sorry, image re-sizing went a bit 'wonky' this time. Will try again when work is further advanced...

Dave

Dave Cooper 624/11/2019 16:58:09
129 forum posts
14 photos

At last the gunner (1/43) is installed in his turret. The first turret suffered severe 'shell damage' when trying the "ship-in-a-bottle" trick ! This is the second bulb in the trial...

The gun barrels are now epoxied into place (didn't trust superglue for some reason). The turret will rotate manually at present. Later, may become 'powered' when I complete my Arduino (microcontroller) course.

The superstructure is masked ready for a coat of primer grey. There is a little re-wiring to do on the LiPo / motor / controller side as I discovered a safety item was missing when testing.

Will post some pic's as soon as the paint is on...

Dave

Dave Cooper 622/12/2019 16:26:00
129 forum posts
14 photos

New turret and gunner :

launch rear top sides 3.jpg

Dave Cooper 622/12/2019 16:27:53
129 forum posts
14 photos

Latest side view (painting in progress) :

launch side view 3.jpg

Dave Cooper 622/12/2019 16:30:09
129 forum posts
14 photos

Front starboard side :

launch front three quarter 3.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor