By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Question About V. Smeed's 'Starlet'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Allen 402/09/2019 10:03:44
2 forum posts

I am building a Vic Smeed 'Starlet' and would appreciate some advice. Do the ply skins extend right to the front of the bow (where they would meet) or do they stop at the foremost bulkhead?

The plans suggest the later with the front of the boat made of solid wood pieces to form the bow front end, but I'm not sure. It seems unusual but useful when there are collisions!

Many thanks.

Chris Fellows02/09/2019 11:52:33
637 forum posts
366 photos

Not unusual John. Commonly used where the bow design is such that the ply needs to be bent in two directions which can't usually be done successfully. The timber used for the bow is usually balsa for lightness and ease of shaping. Will need to be clothed and coated in resin to provide impact resistance.

Haven't built a Starlet but somebody will be along who has.

Chris

Ray Wood 202/09/2019 16:23:04
1826 forum posts
657 photos

Hi John,

The drawing on the web shows 3 laminations of what I imagine to be 1/2" balsa sheet each side of the stem and carved/planed to continue the plywood flat sides. this method eliminates the need to put doublers on the stem and bend the attach the ply to it. The balsa doesn't need to be bullet proof as the ply stem will take most of the knocks, tissue paper covering with dope or sanding sealer is sufficient in my view.

Regards Ray

John Allen 403/09/2019 12:59:03
2 forum posts

Many thanks Chris & Ray,

So as I understand it, the ply skin(s) stop at the bow bulkhead and the port and starboard areas between the bulk head and the stem is filled with balsa, shaped and then finished with resin,   Alternatively tissue paper and dope or sanding sealer.

Many thanks.

Edited By John Allen 4 on 03/09/2019 13:02:46

Dave Milbourn03/09/2019 14:15:44
3958 forum posts
256 photos

John

You've got it in one. If you want some more gen on finishing a wooden hull then have a read of this Finishing wooden hulls

Dave M

Tony Hadley03/09/2019 16:18:58
894 forum posts
535 photos

John,

Attached is the relevant page from the original build item, which may be of help.

Back in July, I received your message for a copy of this model's build booklet. I subsequently replied and said it would need to be emailed, as it is 19 pages long. I received quite a number of requests for this booklet and once consider asking admin (Colin Bishop) for advice as to where to post it on the site. Further thoughts were that the document is too dated and many of the build practices and material are no longer used.

starlet (3).jpg

Ian Bell 117/10/2019 19:34:59
23 forum posts
7 photos

I have this booklet in the form of a .pdf file if wanted.

Dave Gidman18/10/2019 16:19:10
22 forum posts
15 photos

I laminated a few bits of scrap balsa for the bow on my Starlet and shaped it by hand. A block of balsa would be good then whittle and sand it to shape. A very satisfying job actually.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Cadma new
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor