Brushless Motor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member13/08/2019 12:12:50

[This posting has been removed]

Dave Milbourn13/08/2019 13:50:57
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Smart money says to aim for a shaft speed (unloaded) of around 9-11,000 RPM, so a 500kv motor running on 6S (22.2v) should be in the zone.

Yes, I did forget the two T's - can't think why. That "some time" is fast approaching 50 years - scary, isn't it? surprise

DM

Former Member13/08/2019 14:09:17

Ray Wood 213/08/2019 15:13:37
2485 forum posts
862 photos

Hi All,

As I've been RC flying & floating boats model & fullsize for the last 50 years, I have a foot in each camp, lets not discuss the new CAA registration on the Model Boats forum?

Regards Ray

Former Member13/08/2019 16:35:21

Nigel Taily 117/06/2020 09:52:07
6 forum posts
10 photos

David,

I have just finished my first model, Huntsman 31 with two brushed 6v motors by Decaperm.

I need a proper battery! Mine ran out of juice in 5 minutes.

You said:"I would run it on a 6S LiPo pack with either a S55 or X55 2-blade prop."

I could only find 3S batteries, or 22v 6S or HobbyKing said "collect only" From Suffolk.

So I wondered if you could recommend 3S or LeadAcid or a good alternative please<

Thanks,

Dave Milbourn17/06/2020 10:55:05
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Nigel

It's a shame you didn't come onto the forum before you selected the motors for your model because 6v brushed motors aren't ideal for it, especially Decaperms which are geared down further. If you must persevere with them then you need to keep the model weight down as much as possible. That means avoiding lead-acid batteries at all costs - the clue is in the word 'lead'. Even then you won't get the model up on the plane; it will just trundle happily around like a canal narrowboat.

Also be aware that 6v motors aren't intended to be run on 22v - or even 11v. The comment about LiPo batteries refers to my preference for installing brushless motors, whose speed controllers have a low-voltage cut-off which "brushed" ESCs generally don't. If you use LiPos with such a speed controller then it's important to fit a low-voltage alarm. NiMH cells aren't so potentially dangerous if run down beyond a certain level and would therefore be the best option for you.

I can recommend this company for supplying all you need by way of batteries, charges, motors, speed controllers etc. Component-Shop

Dave M

Ray Wood 217/06/2020 12:22:13
2485 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Nigel,

The Decaperm with the built in gearbox is a very powerful motor, build a heavy displacement tug it's ideal 😄

Regards Ray

Nigel Taily 117/06/2020 14:36:29
6 forum posts
10 photos

Thanks Dave and Ray,

I inherited the motors with an abandoned project this year as my first boat.

The lock-down arrived the following week so my 5 year project became 5 weeks.

I think it was build around 1990 - 2000 by someone in Portsmouth. SLEC said that its not one of their kits.

Maiden voyage last night lasted about 10 minutes and then the battery died. Its a 3 cell 1300 mAh for an aeroplane.

I will follow Dave's advice and head to Component Shop and beef that baby up.

Ray Wood 217/06/2020 14:53:56
2485 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Nigel,

They are super motors and worth more than the boat these days 😄 they will easily turn a 75mm propeller on 6 volts with loads of torque.

Brushless or brushed direct drive will make her faster.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor