Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Miranda steam launch

Model Boats July to Sept 83

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Dadd 124/07/2019 10:32:37
4 forum posts

Hello all, I have retired and been looking for a project to occupy my spare time. I have purchased the plans for this build along with the plans for the steam engine. Both sets of plans lack construction details and I have found that this build was featured in the Model Boats Mag July to Sept 83. I have tried to track down these mags or the articles in them but with no success. Can anyone assist with the provision of the relevant articles for this construction. Many thanks in anticipation of assistance.

Colin Bishop25/07/2019 14:07:04
4250 forum posts
6041 photos
394 articles

Sorry, I don't have those issues in my collection but thre were some posts on here back in 2008 about the model:

**LINK**4

It was also mentioned on the Mayhem forum:

**LINK**

There are other references if you Google Miranda steam launch model but you may well have seen all this already.

Colin

Brian Dadd 126/07/2019 09:16:16
4 forum posts

Thank you Colin for your reply. I have already discovered these links as I have been searching the internet.

Brian

Ray Wood 226/07/2019 10:49:45
1365 forum posts
532 photos

Hi Brian,

I'm glad to hear your going to build the boat and steam plant, are you an experienced modeller and engineer? this is quite an adventurous project to start with you will need a well equiped workshop

Regards Ray

Tony Hadley26/07/2019 11:17:56
891 forum posts
531 photos

Brian,

The August 1983 edition of Model Boats magazine, with part two of Miranda, is currently for sale on ebay.

**LINK**

Banjoman26/07/2019 12:43:25
1090 forum posts
2347 photos

Or you could look at them, and (most likely) photograph the relevant pages (or get copies made) for personal use, at the British Library. However, from what it says in their catalogue, that would entail getting a reader's pass and visiting their reading room in person, so if a trip to London would be more trouble and/or cost than it's worth for you, it wouldn't work.

Another possible source than e-Bay for second-hand copies is the Magazine Exchange (**LINK**). They currently don't seem to have anyone selling the issues you're looking for, but I have successfully bought old MB issues through them, so an alternative might be to keep a regular beady eye on what comes up for offer there.

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 26/07/2019 12:43:43

Brian Dadd 127/07/2019 07:38:06
4 forum posts

Thank you all for your interest and helpful advice. I have purchased the Aug edition that was on Ebay. Just issues July and Sept to locate now. I have also bought a copy of 'Scratch building marine models' which I will find helpful. I am competent with wood and metal work but have not built a model boat since my early teens when I built 'Flatso' from the plans.

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor