Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Longest build?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Hill 116/07/2019 08:23:53
20 forum posts
6 photos

Hi everyone, last year I unpacked the remains of a boat I started 30 years ago. I had completed the hull and basic superstructure and had a go at painting it. Apart from putting it in the bath it never went any further. It was put in a dustbin liner and kept in the loft, six house moves later it was looking a little battered. I found the original magazines but not the plan.

image.jpeg

Once I'd replaced the lost bits it was time to try it out.

image.jpeg

Next up is to try and add most of the missing bits and maybe even take it to the local lake.

Gary

Dave Milbourn16/07/2019 09:56:33
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Quite a gap, although I think that Admiral Sir Colin Bishop's "Brenda" had its keel laid over 40 years ago and was finished just last year.

My own record is paltry in comparison. The unfinished model in my case was a thing called "Lord Nelson Victory Tug", which is a pretty little boat but a truly terrible kit by Dumas. I spent a year or so just looking at the built hull and hating myself for ever having bought the thing. Eventually I sold it to Alan Burgess for a few quid and a bottle of Jack Daniels. I saw Alan at the Mayhem do this year and his story of it since is pretty much the same! If the ruddy thing is ever completed then I will be interested in seeing the result - if I'm spared that long!

Dave M

harry smith 116/07/2019 13:41:03
1022 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Lads

I think we all have one boats we should have not bought !!!

Harry Smith

Colin Bishop16/07/2019 17:49:20
4480 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Brenda is a mere stripling at 25 years! but I do have an even older one on the go, my liner Almeda which I first started researching in 1973! It still took a while before I was able to draw up some reasonable hull lines but I was never satisfied with the initial hull and eventually scrapped it and built another. This in turn had an extended layup whilst I built a lot of other models but has been resurrected and is now coming on well subject to the odd diversion into building kits for review which has resulted in further delays. It's a bit of a lifetime project I suppose. Hopefully I will get there in the end...

Dave Metcalf's Neptune is an attractive craft and well worth completing. Good luck with it.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 16/07/2019 17:50:01

Colin Bishop16/07/2019 18:00:29
4480 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Harry, yes I bought the Billings St Roch kit having seen and photographed the original in Vancouver Maritime Museum in 2010 but it is a truly awful kit really and I have pretty much abandoned it half finished.

Not one of Billings' most glorious efforts.

Colin

Tony Hadley16/07/2019 18:30:41
897 forum posts
536 photos

This is my longest build, a Hydrafibre Dark Class FPB. Bought back in the mid 1980s, managed to fix a temporary deck to get a trial run, but then progress stopped again. Dave M provided details to replace the 540 motors with brushless but it's still at a standstill.

dark class (6).jpg

Ray Wood 216/07/2019 18:39:29
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi All my 1/4 scale Lysander is 45 years old ! Every year I do but more and put back up the loft, probably never finish it 😀

Regards Raylysander3.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor