Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Clyde Paddler

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F26/07/2019 15:26:00
54 forum posts
75 photos

Back from sunny Spain to sunny Britain. Who'd have guessed it?

Anyway. More materials arrived so I've been mostly this past couple of days in the garage playing with my boat and the silhouette cutter. This is progress so far:

20190726_1.jpg

I'm still toying with the 2 motor/2 gearbox idea but I can't get my head around what control I'd need. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Colin Bishop26/07/2019 15:57:48
4597 forum posts
6071 photos
400 articles

Ashley mentioned to me last week someone who had used LEGO Technic differential gears to assist in steering a paddler - perhaps he could enlighten us further...

Colin

Tony Hadley26/07/2019 19:03:42
899 forum posts
536 photos

Before selling my Glasgow paddle tug, I was considering changing it to an independent paddle drive, with a system similar to the one shown by John W.E. earlier in this thread. My thoughts were to control the motor drive with a mixer, such as the Action Electronics P94 from Component Shop.

The system is better described in the Hints, Tips and Technical section. Scroll down to the heading Motor Mixers.

**LINK**

If in any doubt with this, you could contact forum member Dave Milbourn (who wrote the article).

Andy F15/08/2019 12:56:06
54 forum posts
75 photos

Slowly but surely it's getting there..

I'm now trying to decide the best way to make railings that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

20190815_2.jpg

20190815_1.jpg

Ray Wood 215/08/2019 13:05:23
2089 forum posts
736 photos

Hi Andrew,

Your paddler is looking very good, had you thought of fine stainless split pins, if you made a jig in the vice to give you a second rail ?? I know the turned brass commercial ones are an arm & leg

The etched brass stancions are more cost effective.

Regards Ray

Andy F22/08/2019 00:01:56
54 forum posts
75 photos

Thanks for the suggestion Ray but I've sourced some model railway 2 rail stanchions that will do the job perfectly well and they weren't too expensive either. I should've known really, I've used them before on bridge building.

I've decided that PS Covenanter will be a 'sitting on a shelf looking pretty' kind of model. I'm not going to even attempt to sail her because quite frankly, I don't trust my construction method to be watertight and I'd hate for all this work to just.... sink.

So. Pictures of the almost completed paddler.

20190821_2.jpg

20190821_1.jpg

20190821_3.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor