Forum sponsored by Dremel

Hello - New Here.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley11/07/2019 21:03:59
897 forum posts
536 photos

Hi Captain H,

I made a couple of visits to Coniston to photograph the Gondola and what a lovely steamer she is, A superb model was built of her in the 1980s and this was featured in the October 1984 Model Boats magazine. I can't remember the builder.

Wishing you every success with the building projects, Vic's 'Moonglow' should be a good project and if you manage any photographs when the model is finished or on the water, it would be good to see them.

Tony

Chris Fellows11/07/2019 22:44:34
695 forum posts
408 photos
Posted by Captain Haddock on 10/07/2019 20:27:44:

Colin/Tim

Thanks for the welcome. No Colin the Sirocco isn't a Vic Smeed design, it's from someone named C. Bingham. And i'm not that surprised it might be of 50's/60's vintage. So am I! A laid back pace is fine by me Tim.....

A bit of slight tinkering is called for the switch to electric power, but it looks feasible enough. It looks a solid job. No attempt at weight saving here, but I'm aware it's often necessary to add weight to boats to get them floating on their waterline.

And to top it all off, I just heard from a friend today that Windermere Steamboat Museum has re-opened, and is allowing the local model boat club back onto the purpose built pool........

And once I've got the Sirocco built, I'm going to have a go at the Aeronaut Queen Cabin Cruiser. It looks gorgeous. From the reviews I've seen Aeronaut kits seem well sorted, and build well. They're also supplied with fittings, propshaft and prop. I have noticed some reviewers have upgraded the propshaft though. Why might that be?

Edited By Captain Haddock on 10/07/2019 20:36:06

Hi and welcome Captain H.

Boats of that era are solidly built to withstand the forces and vibrations from the IC engines. You shouldn't have to worry about adding extra ballast though, with the hull being a planing type, unlike with displacement hulls.

As regards the Aeronaut Queen, to make the kits viable, the quality of things like the prop shaft can be a bit borderline in quality and so it it is usually beneficial to upgrade to something better. Once epoxied in you don't really want to have to replace it prematurely! I for one have standardised on the Raboesch maintenance free ones from the likes of Cornwall Model Boats which are very good quality.

Chris

Malcolm Frary12/07/2019 12:53:54
892 forum posts

Back in that era, it wasn't just vibration that happened - the motor mount and whatever the mount was fixed to had to withstand the rigours of starting with a lanyard round the flywheel. Embarrasing to pull it out by its roots. For electric, since electric motors are so much smoother in operation, a lot of lightness can be added around there.

Former Member13/07/2019 20:11:31

[This posting has been removed]

Former Member13/07/2019 20:11:32

Former Member14/07/2019 14:49:53

Chris Fellows14/07/2019 21:34:19
695 forum posts
408 photos

You might have to position the battery so that it sits at the correct angle on the water but other than that, as I said before, I would be surprised if you had to add any ballast. The shape of the hull means it is not affected much by reasonable weight differences and once on the plane it is irreverent anyway.

Displacement hulls are a different kettle of fish as you do want them sitting correctly on the waterline.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor