By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Trawling the depths of my grey matter. Past builds.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy F28/06/2019 01:43:45
41 forum posts
54 photos

Some may have seen from my post in the beginners section that I am returning to boat modelling after about 35 yrs or so (wife, family, etc - the usual suspects) with my rebuilding of a 34" cruiser.

Anyway, it got me thinking about things I'd done in the past and one that really sticks in my mind was this, or almost this because I have no photos of the real thing and this is the closest I can find off t'interweb:

steamer.jpg

I found some interesting plans in an old copy of Model Boats (I think) way back in the early 80's.They used to do full size pull out plans in the magazine back then, do they still?

Sitting on the back seat of the 184 bus home from Oldham one day, it was one of those "I bet I could build that" moments but being me I decided to go a stage further and have a REAL steam engine powering it, an old Mamod I had in my bedroom (I was in my early 20's so it's excusable).

At a shade over 36" long and 8" beam, I had hours of fun building it with all the fancy bits here and there, just like in the picture above in fact and actually sailing it several times whilst trying not to set it on fire every time I fired the boiler up. The steam engine drove both paddle wheels by way of a large Meccano wheel and a strip of sheepskin off my jacket sleeve (it was the 80's) and it was radio controlled in as much as it went forwards and left or right when I wanted it to but that was about it. No more control than that. That was it. That's all.

Even though I say it myself, it did look rather stunning when it was finished.

It's a bit sad really because my last memory of this boat is about 1990 and me removing all the valuable stuff and sending it off on a Valhalla style voyage on our local pond while I took pot shots at it with my .22 BSA Meteor air rifle.

It didn't end well for the boat.crying 2

Ray Wood 228/06/2019 13:27:49
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Andrew,

I remember seeing Monarch out of the water at Chatham dock yard a few years back she is quite new of steel construction.

I recommend you start buying MB's magazine, particularly good free plan in next month's issue 😀

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/06/2019 13:28:40

Andy F28/06/2019 17:03:41
41 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 28/06/2019 13:27:49:

....I recommend you start buying MB's magazine, particularly good free plan in next month's issue 😀

I'm intrigued...

Dave Milbourn28/06/2019 19:42:29
3995 forum posts
282 photos
Posted by Andrew Fallows on 28/06/2019 17:03:41:
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 28/06/2019 13:27:49:

....I recommend you start buying MB's magazine, particularly good free plan in next month's issue 😀

I'm intrigued...

I imagine it's one of Ray's... ;o)

DM

Ray Wood 228/06/2019 21:32:02
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Andrew,

Dave is on the money 😁, a small balsa cabin cruiser, my last take on the trilogy of Keilcraft boat kits most of us saved our pocket money for in the 1960's 😀

Probably not as much fun as an Xbox, but much cheaper !cu 210119.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/06/2019 21:32:45

Tony Hadley29/06/2019 20:03:24
897 forum posts
536 photos

Got my copy today, a nice little model Ray - well done.

Tony

Ray Wood 229/06/2019 21:58:22
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Thanks Tony,

I enjoy these little models 15" long Silver Must is on the list to build 😀

regards Ray

Andy F02/07/2019 09:42:46
41 forum posts
54 photos

Here's some treasure from the garage.

heather-elf.jpg

Heather Elf.

Bought new in 1948 by my grandfather for his 8 yr old son (my dad). It's 20 inches long and I'm told it has an automatic steering system whatever one of those is. It's had some remedial work done over the years, new sails, ropes, etc and to be honest, it could do with a bit more.

HMS Clifford.

hms-clifford.jpg

Built by my grandad's brother, Uncle Clifford (hence the name) some time between 1938 and 1960 when he was serving in the Merchant Navy. I know absolutely nothing about this boat, I don't even know if it's a model of a real ship but I don't intend to do anything with it, it's exactly as it was left - unfinished, on the day he died.

It's 32" long and the hula girl has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

The small white boat in front is actually made of cardboard, again by my Uncle.

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 02/07/2019 09:44:53

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor