Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fairey Huntsman 31

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Fellows12/06/2019 17:04:23
619 forum posts
355 photos

Building my other Faireys has come to a halt for the time being due to holidays, doing stuff in the garden and other things.

So wanting to do something model orientated (especially as the weather has been so poor of late and continuing to be so) I thought I'd pick up my Huntsman 31 project again. This is going to be built at 1:12 like my other Fairey builds.

I bought a drawing a couple of years ago when I first started getting interested in model boats. I've not long started but I'm redrawing parts of it so that I can print off at will for transferring to the ply etc. Also modifying parts of it to make building easier and more accurate e.g. adding a temporary spine to align the frames and fingers to the keel to fix to the building board as I've done with a couple of my other builds.

Chris

nexus plans.jpg

Tim Rowe12/06/2019 19:17:00
376 forum posts
440 photos

Subscribed

Tim R

Chris Fellows14/06/2019 09:13:30
619 forum posts
355 photos

Thanks Tim

Actually having a set of drawings at the right scale of 1:12 the intention was to virtually build it straight off the drawings along with the modifications mentioned earlier but now that I've being doing a bit more I've decided to make a few more alterations to the frames and templates to echo what I've done on my other builds. This includes changes to the bow area and moving the frames to the front and rear of the cockpit slightly to accommodate the cabin walls from floor to roof rather than sitting them on the frames in the same plane.

One thing I had noticed with Huntsman 31 models, all I think, is that the rudder is much further forward from the stern than on other Fairey models and the original Fairey drawing. Is this because the stern is quite rounded and access to fit the rudder is restricted or for some other reason, handling perhaps? This position does reduce the amount of space available between the rudder and front wall of the aft cabin for the servo etc.

Chris

Dave Milbourn14/06/2019 10:06:13
3923 forum posts
252 photos

Chris

I've built both of the 'old' versions of the Huntsman kit, with the rudder in the forward position, and four of the 1/16 scale version with the rudder back in line with the transom. From the handling aspect I didn't notice any difference, but I think the 'real' postion (i.e. the aft one) looks better, even if it is a bit trickier to arrange the tiller connection.

Dave M

Chris Fellows15/06/2019 00:57:13
619 forum posts
355 photos

Thanks Dave.

Whilst the rudder isn't really seen that much I agree that it looks better nearer the transom and will move it as close as I can.

The Nexus Plans/Vic Sneed version does have the rudder further forward than any of the other versions other than your 1/16 models.

Chris

Chris Fellows25/06/2019 13:10:32
619 forum posts
355 photos

Fitting in with other things I'm making progress on the drawings. It's amazing, even though I've got three other builds on the go (though not touched for a few weeks) how soon you forget how you did certain things. Even looking back at my own drawings it's not always clear and therefore the photographs I took and notes I made are invaluable.

Chris

Tim Rowe25/06/2019 16:46:49
376 forum posts
440 photos

Chris

I find that too. I have far too many things on the go and work is busy so only time for very little modeling. I have started to keep notes for same reason but sometimes I look at them afresh and think - what the devil was I thinking?

The on thing that really matters is to keep enjoying it and even if it takes a break or change to do so.

Still very much subscribed.

Tim R

Chris Fellows26/10/2019 12:22:49
619 forum posts
355 photos

The hull design of the Huntsman 31 is the sleekest and most modern looking of the moulded timber hull designs and the length enabled a quite roomy aft cabin to be incorporated which was obviously what owners wanted as the majority, i.e. 27, of boats were manufactured in this guise.

But another 6 boats had a full length cockpit and were called Huntsman 31 Sport with most being used for racing for obvious reasons. With the sleeker bow and full length coamings I reckon this version looks great.

Drawings were almost ready to build the aft cabin version from (which I shall at some point) but I've now decided to build the Sport version. Just got to modify some of the bulkheads to suit the cockpit and I can make a start. Space in the house is becoming a bit of a problem though!

Chris

huntsman 31 sport - side view.jpg

Chris Fellows06/11/2019 17:48:53
619 forum posts
355 photos

Build is coming along now. Bit of a luxury for a while because as well as using the smallest bedroom as a work room I'm currently replacing the skirting boards and architrave in the second bedroom ready for decorating and once the day's work is over I'm doing a bit on the model. Loads of space!

Chris

luxury.jpg

Chris Fellows25/11/2019 19:46:15
619 forum posts
355 photos

Doing a little bit each day following decorating.

Reached the stage where I'm fitting the stringers.

Chris

fitting stringers 2.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor