Forum sponsored by Dremel

Perkasa

Help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john mccreadie04/06/2019 20:52:40
1 forum posts

Hi,

I have an all wooden Perkasa which I built from a kit in the early 1980s and I would like to bring it back to life, but.

It is 30 inches long and I would like to know what scale it would be so I can fit realistic guns

It was never very fast and never got up on the plane, mainly because it has a lead acid battery, what would be a good combination motor, battery and prop.

As my first all wood kit I made quite a good job of it but it needs modernising so any help would be great.

Cheers, John

Roger Clark04/06/2019 22:59:50
252 forum posts
88 photos

Hi John, I have a Perkasa that's about 40 odd inches long and is 1/24th so would guess yours is 1/35th, no doubt others will confirm or correct. smiley.

Regards

Roger

ashley needham05/06/2019 09:10:31
6757 forum posts
198 photos

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

Ditching the lead acid battery would be a good start in the quest for performance.

we would want to know what size and voltage the sla is, and what motor/prop has been installed.

A change to a Nimh battery may halve or even take 2/3 the weight out of the boat with a corresponding performance gain and possibly no other work might be needed to give you a good performance.

Then it is a question of how fast you want to go. Certainly these boats can be made to go very quickly with brushless motors and Lipo batteries....it depends on how much you want to spend really.

Ashley

Dave Milbourn05/06/2019 10:24:19
4018 forum posts
282 photos

John

If your model was built from an all-wood kit then it's probably the 1/32 scale Precedent kit, which was actually 37" long. Here is a link to every Thread on this forum with "Perkasa" in the title. You should find all sorts of useful information in there. Link to Perkasa threads

DaveM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 05/06/2019 10:28:51

harry smith 105/06/2019 11:03:13
1040 forum posts
1215 photos

Hi John

Ditching the SLA battery and changing the motor, prop and speed controller is a big upgrade !!

So getting the right info will save you money.

The original Perkasa's would do 50 knots plus !!!

I have two 1/35 scale Perkasa's both with 37mm 3 blade props, 60 Amp ESC"s, 5800 mah Lipo batteries.

One has a 35mm brushless motor 3639-1100 Kv and the other a D3548/4-1100Kv.

Both get up on the plane and perform over scale speed.

Good run time of over 1/2 an hour.

Turning is not great as they like a long turning circle, but, can be help by raking the rudder forward by 6 to 8 degrees.

The balance point forward and aft is very important ,but, with access hopefully to under the forward gun you can move stuff around to get it right.

As the battery is the main weight problem.

As for moving guns you can use small servos, but, I am it to that.

Harry Smith

Will Mason 105/06/2019 23:03:52
8 forum posts

I too have a Perkasa, the 46" fibreglass hull version. Originally my father and I built it in the 80's to take a 22cc petrol strimmer engine with centrifugal clutch and I sold in the early 90's. Roll onto around 2010 and I happened to speak to the person who bought it from me and ended up buying it back again. It needs a fair bit if work now, lots of bits have snapped off or been knocked off and I also want to convert it to brushless.

Nice to see there are still some Perkasa models about.

Will

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor